Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

Need timing marks for a 98 Ford Expedition 4.6 L Triton V-8

Replaced Cracked head and want...
Replaced Cracked head and want to double-check my timing marks, have no manual and don't want to put together a tooth off ! Can someone show me a picture of timing marks please ? Thanks, Bill
5/21/2006
James, F-350 owner

Hi Bill W, here's the whole procedure.

4.6L Engine

Fig. 6: Remove the driver's side ignition coil bracket bolts

Fig. 7: Remove the passenger side ignition coil bracket bolts along with the belt tensioner retaining bolts and the idler pulley retaining bolt

Fig. 8: Remove the power steering pump mounting bolts and position the pump to the side

Fig. 9: Remove the four front oil pan-to-timing cover retaining bolts

Fig. 10: Once the necessary components are removed, the timing cover bolts are accessible, remove the bolts and . . .

Fig. 11: . . . remove the cover from the engine

Fig. 12: Install the camshaft holding tool

Fig. 13: Remove the crankshaft position sensor trigger wheel from the crankshaft

Fig. 14: Remove the timing chain tensioner retaining bolts and . . .

Fig. 15: . . . remove the tensioner from the engine

Fig. 16: Remove the tensioner arm from the engine

Fig. 17: Remove the timing chain from around the camshaft pulley

Fig. 18: When removing the timing chains, rotate the crankshaft so that the camshaft key-ways are positioned as shown — 4.6L engines

Fig. 19: Remove the timing chain guide retaining bolts and remove the guides from the engine

Fig. 20: Place the tensioner into a bench vise or other suitable device and retract the plunger

Fig. 21: Using a small screwdriver or other suitable tool, push back and hold the ratchet mechanism

Fig. 22: While holding the ratchet mechanism, push the ratchet arm back into the tensioner assembly

Fig. 23: After the ratchet mechanism is retracted, place a paper clip or other suitable tool into the hole in the tensioner body to hold the ratchet arm and plunger during installation

Fig. 24: Place the tensioner assembly onto the engine and tighten the retaining bolts

Fig. 25: Remove the paper clip from the tensioner assembly

1. Disconnect the negative battery cable.
  2. Remove the radiator, fan blade and fan shroud assembly.
  3. Remove the accessory drive belt.
  4. Remove the water pump pulley.
  5. Detach the electrical harness connectors from both ignition coils.
  6. Remove both ignition coils with their brackets attached.
  7. Remove the left-hand and right-hand cylinder head covers.
  8. Raise and safely support the vehicle.
  9. Remove the two upper power steering pump retaining bolts.
  10. Remove the two lower power steering pump retaining bolts and move the pump aside.
  11. Detach the Crankshaft Position (CKP) sensor electrical harness connector. Remove the retaining bolt and remove the CKP sensor.
  12. Drain the engine oil into a suitable container.
  13. Remove the four oil pan-to-engine front cover retaining bolts.
  14. Lower the vehicle.
  15. Remove the crankshaft damper retaining bolt and washer from the crankshaft.
  16. Install Crankshaft Damper Remover T58P-6316-D or equivalent and pull the damper from the crankshaft.
  17. Remove the Camshaft Position (CMP) sensor retaining bolt and remove the CMP sensor.
  18. Remove the idler pulley bolt and remove the pulley.
  19. Remove the three belt tensioner retaining bolts and remove the tensioner.
  20. Remove the eight engine front cover retaining bolts and the seven nuts. Swing the top of the cover out off the dowel pins and remove the cover.
  21. Remove the sensor ring from the crankshaft.
  22. Use Camshaft Positioning Tool T91P-6256-A and Camshaft Positioning Adapters T92P-6256-A or equivalents, to position the camshaft.
  23. Rotate the crankshaft until both camshaft key-ways are 90 degrees from the cam cover surface. Be sure the copper links line up with the dots on the camshaft sprockets.

WARNING
    At no time, when the timing chains are removed and the cylinder heads are installed may the crankshaft or the camshaft be rotated. Severe piston and valve damage will occur.

24. Remove the two left-hand and right-hand tensioner bolts and remove the timing chain tensioners.
  25. Slide the left-hand and right-hand tensioner guides off the dowel pins.
  26. Remove the right-hand timing chain from the camshaft sprocket.
  27. Remove the left-hand timing chain from the camshaft sprocket.
  28. Remove the left-hand and right-hand timing chain guide bolts and remove the timing chain guides.
  29. If necessary, remove the camshaft gear bolt and remove the camshaft gear.

To install:

Fig. 26: When installing the timing chains, make certain that the copper colored links (A) are aligned with the timing marks — 4.6L engine

Fig. 27: Tighten the first five front cover fasteners in the sequence shown — 4.6L engine

Fig. 28: Continue tightening the remaining fasteners in the sequence shown here — 4.6L engine

30. Examine the timing chains, looking for the copper links. If the copper links are not visible, lay the chain on a flat surface and pull the chain taught until the opposite sides of the chain contact one another. Mark the links at each end of the chain and use these marks in place of the copper links.

NOTE: If the engine jumped time, damage has been done to valves and possibly pistons and/or connecting rods. Any damage must be corrected before installing the timing chains.

31. If removed, install the camshaft gears and tighten the retaining bolt to 81–95 ft. lbs. (110–130 Nm).
  32. Install the left-hand and right-hand timing chain guides and retaining bolts. Tighten the retaining bolts to 71–106 inch lbs. (8–12 Nm).
  33. If removed, install the left-hand crankshaft sprocket with the tapered part of the sprocket facing away from the engine block.

NOTE: The crankshaft sprockets are identical. They may only be installed one way, with the tapered part of the sprockets facing each other. Ensure that the key-way and timing marks on the crankshaft sprockets are aligned.

34. Install the left-hand timing chain on the camshaft and crankshaft sprockets. Be sure the copper links of the timing chain line up with the timing marks on both sprockets.
  35. If removed, install the right-hand crankshaft sprocket with the tapered part of the sprocket facing the left-hand crankshaft sprocket.
  36. Install the right-hand timing chain on the camshaft and crankshaft sprockets. Be sure the copper links of the timing chain line up with the timing marks on both sprockets.
  37. It is necessary to bleed the timing chain tensioners before installation. Proceed as follows:

1. Place the timing chain tensioner in a soft-jawed vise.
    2. Using a small pick or similar tool, hold the ratchet lock mechanism away from the ratchet stem and slowly compress the tensioner plunger by rotating the vise handle.

WARNING
      The tensioner must be compressed slowly or damage to the internal seals will result.

3. Once the tensioner plunger bottoms in the tensioner bore, continue to hold the ratchet lock mechanism and push down on the ratchet stem until flush with the tensioner face.
    4. While holding the ratchet stem flush to the tensioner face, release the ratchet lock mechanism and install a paper clip or similar tool in the tensioner body to lock the tensioner in the collapsed position.
    5. The paper clip must not be removed until the timing chain, tensioner, tensioner arm and timing chain guide are completely installed on the engine.

38. Install the left-hand and right-hand timing chain tensioner guides on the dowel pins.
  39. Place the left-hand and right-hand timing chain tensioners in position and install the retaining bolts. Tighten the bolts to 15–22 ft. lbs. (20–30 Nm).
  40. Remove the retaining pins from the timing chain tensioners.
  41. Remove Camshaft Positioning Tool T91P-6256-A and Camshaft Positioning Adapters T92P-6256-A or equivalents. from the camshaft.
  42. Install the crankshaft sensor ring on the crankshaft.
  43. Apply a bead of silicone sealer along the cylinder head-to-cylinder block and the oil pan-to-cylinder block sealing surfaces.
  44. Install the engine front cover carefully onto the dowel pins.
  45. Tighten the engine front cover bolts, in sequence, to 15–22 ft. lbs. (20–30 Nm).
  46. Place the idler pulley in position and install the retaining bolt. Tighten the bolt to 15–22 ft. lbs. (20–30 Nm).
  47. Install the drive belt tensioner and the three retaining bolts. Tighten the bolts to 15–22 ft. lbs. (20–30 Nm).
  48. Install the CMP sensor and the retaining bolt. Tighten the bolt to 106 inch lbs. (12 Nm).
  49. Place the damper on the crankshaft. Ensure the crankshaft key and key-way are aligned.
  50. Using Crankshaft Damper Replacer T74P-6316-B or equivalent, install the crankshaft damper.
  51. Raise and safely support the vehicle.
  52. Install the four oil pan-to-engine front cover bolts and tighten, in sequence, in 2 steps:

1. Tighten the bolts to 15 ft. lbs. (20 Nm).
    2. Rotate the bolts an additional 60 degrees.

53. Install the CKP sensor and the retaining bolt. Tighten the bolt to 106 inch lbs. (12 Nm). Connect the CKP sensor electrical harness connector.
  54. Install the power steering pump and the two upper and two lower retaining bolts. Tighten the bolts to 15–20 ft. lbs. (20–30 Nm).
  55. Lower the vehicle.
  56. Place the ignition coil and brackets on the engine front cover and install the bracket bolts. Tighten the bolts to 15–22 ft. lbs. (20–30 Nm).
  57. Connect the ignition coil and capacitor electrical harness connectors.
  58. Connect the CMP electrical harness connector.
  59. Install the water pump pulley and tighten the bolts to 15–22 ft. lbs. (20–30 Nm).
  60. Install the radiator, fan blade and fan shroud assembly.
  61. Install the accessory drive belt.
  62. Connect the negative battery cable.
  63. Start the engine and check for leaks.
  64. Road test the vehicle and check for proper engine operation.

James, F-350 owner
James, F-350 owner