david
david, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  Certified Master Technician,Certified in diesel & gasoline engines
533087

1991 escort: My clutch is not working.

I have a 1991 escort. My clutch is not working. Can you tell me how to add fluid?
The slave cylinder moves a little but not enough to make it work.

thank you for the question hope this helps

you may try bleeding the system of air

1. Check that the brake master cylinder is at least 3/4 full during the entire bleeding process.

2. Remove the bleeder screw cap from the clutch slave cylinder and attach a hose to the bleeder screw. Place the other end of the hose into a container to catch the fluid.

3. Have an assistant slowly pump the clutch pedal several times and then hold the clutch pedal down.

4. Loosen the bleeder screw to release the fluid and air. Tighten the bleeder screw.

5. Repeat the bleeding procedure until no more air bubbles are seen in the fluid.

6. Tighten the bleeder screw to 52-78 inch lbs. (6-9 Nm).

7. Top off the brake master cylinder to the full line.

8. Check for proper clutch system operation.

this may help but in most cases the slave cylinder works OK it dos not. if this did not help you will need to replace the slave cylinder

1. Disconnect the negative battery cable.

2. Disconnect the clutch slave cylinder tube from the clutch slave cylinder. Plug the line to prevent leakage.

3. Remove the two clutch slave cylinder retainers.

4. Remove the slave cylinder.

To install

1. Position the slave cylinder and install the two retaining bolts. Tighten the retaining bolts to 12-17 ft. lbs. (16-23 Nm).

2. Unplug and connect the clutch slave cylinder tube. Tighten the tube nut to 10-16 ft. lbs. (13-22 Nm).

3. Bleed any air from the hydraulic clutch system.

4. Operate the clutch pedal and check for leaks.

5. Connect the negative battery cable.

6. Road test the vehicle and check for proper operation

good luck

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to david's Post: I am confussed about the break master cylinder fluid. Does it supply the clutch? Doesn't the clutch have its own master cylinder and resevoir?
yes the clutch master cylinder has a reservoir. it is right next to the brake reservoir. is will a small black tube with a hose coming from the bottom.
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Relist: I still need help.
There isn't a reservoir by the clutch master cylinder. Also there is no air in line to slave cylinder. I found that if i pump clutch I get some pressure. But it goes down fast. I am sure that the clutch master cylinder is my problem. If you can tell the proper way to change clutch master cylinder with picture. I would be very satisfied with that.

Thank You

here is a picture of your engine compartment and were your clutch master cylinder is located.
along with the removal and install info
and t step by step on how to bleed the system

4. Remove the slave cylinder.

To install:

5. Connect the negative battery cable.

6. Road test the vehicle and check for proper operation.

Slave cylinder mounting-1991-96 models

HYDRAULIC SYSTEM BLEEDING

Attach a hose to the bleeder screw and place the other end of the hose into a container to catch the fluid-1991-96 model shown

hope this helps good luck

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to david's Post: Are you saying it is possible my slave cylinder in bad and not my clutch master cylinder? I was thinking I needed to change clutch master cylinder and you sent me direction on changing slave cylinder. Please explain. thanks
hi what i am saying it the slave cylinder is bad..
you seed "The slave cylinder moves a little but not enough to make it work". this would indicate the slave cylinder is either got air in it or the slave cylinder is bad.