Lincoln

Lincoln Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I have a 2006 Lincoln Town Car limousine at idle I have no…

Customer Question
Hello I have a...

Hello I have a 2006 Lincoln Town Car limousine at idle I have no power steering I have to increase the RPM to about a thousand before power steering kicks in I replaced the power steering sensor slash switch and that did nothing can you suggest my next move

Mechanic's Assistant: Is the power loss consistent, or does it fluctuate?

It's not totally consistent when I first start the vehicle up power steering seems to work then as it warms up the condition becomes as I described

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Town Car yourself? What have you tried so far?

I'm an automotive diesel an aircraft mechanic I have put the Ford VDS on there there are no dtc's and everything shows normal operation even my voltage in and out varies with speed as it's supposed to 4.11 at idle 2.2 at high speed

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No I believe that covers it

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Lincoln
5/25/2018
Lincoln Mechanic: roybelding, Master Tech/Trainer replied 2 months ago
roybelding
roybelding, Master Tech/Trainer

hello, my name is ***** ***** I will be glad to assist you. please allow me a couple of minutes to gather some basic info.

Roy

No problem

ok

the first thing I would do is flush the system of all fluid. it sounds like debris in either the pump or the box. I would use at least 2 gallons of fluid and see if there is any debris in the fluid.

beyond that, you will need pressure gauges to verify pressure from the pump.

Roy

The car has a total of 16000 miles on it do you still feel that's the best move

yep, got to start somewhere. it has been sitting and the fluid separates over time. I use to work for a limo company and we had the same issues.

Roy

The fluid looks clean and the vehicle has only sixteen thousand miles on it do you still feel that it's the best move or could the solenoid on the steering rack be causing the problem
I have to drive it to a workshop without low speed power steering in order to do this but I'll give it a try

nope on the solenoid. if it was the issue, your readings would be way off bleeding off pressure.

Roy

Okay I'll accomplish this tomorrow

Please take a moment and rate my service 3 stars or better. that is the only way the site will pay me for my efforts.

Roy

sounds good

Is it fair to try what you told me to do first before I rate you

you can rate me anytime and the question will stay open and locked to me and we can continue as long as you wish. otherwise we may loose each other.

Roy

Fair enough thank you Roy I'll be back to you hopefully tomorrow night

ok

Roy one last side note in the past month I have driven it over 3,000 miles and the problem just started do you still think debris is the problem

very well could be.

beyond that you need to check pressures. it could be the pump or box.

Roy

When you say box you mean what exactly

the steering box.

Roy

I'm still confused are you referring to the steering gear or a control box

steering gear is the same thing. I am thinking old school.

Roy

I just wanted to make sure we are on the same page I'm in my fifties thank you

LOL, I am in my 60's. I understand. we are on the same page

Roy

any update

My appointments at 5:30 today Eastern Time

??? for the repair?

Had to schedule a rental bay at my local garage shop do it yourself place my apartment won't allow me to work on it there

ok, makes sense. I understand

Roy

any update

Roy the fluids that came out was as clean as a fluid I put in and there's no difference whatsoever

Ok, then you will need a set of gauges to check the pressure output of the pump at idle and at 1200 RPM.

Roy

I think it would just be easier for me to put a new pump on it

that would be a good start but it is a guess.

Roy

True but I already spent $120 on this project and the pump is only 80

ok, then go for it.

I just like to be sure what I replace is failed. thats why I suggested testing the pressure. you can rent a set of gauges at a parts store.

Roy

Roy