Lincoln

Lincoln Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I just bought a 03 Lincoln Navigator and it had the

I just bought a...

I just bought a 03 Lincoln Navigator and it had the suspension turned off and I took it to get the ball joint replaced on the front passenger side and the mechanic told me that the air bag on the drivers side was inflated and he didn’t have enough knowledge on the vehicle to fix the problem is there anything that I can try or do I have to take it to get checked?

Mechanic's Assistant: How has the ride been lately? Have you noticed any fluid under the car?

Before I had the ball joint replace it bounced horribly after it drives bumpy

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Navigator yourself? What have you tried so far?

I haven’t the person I purchased it from was fixing it himself

3/29/2018
Michael
Michael, Ford Senior Master Technician

Hello, my name is***** will be assisting you today. Give me a moment to review your question. If your VIN is available please send it to me.

The mechanic said the airbag in the left front was inflated, but the others are deflated?

he was going to replace all of the front ball joints but could only get to the passenger side one
He wanted to poke a hole in it but i told him to just leave it be

I'd be concerned that any of the air bags are deflated. On the navigator the airbags are the replacements for the springs. They are what supports the vehicle's weight when you are driving. The reason you have such a bouncy ride is that your air springs are collapsed, this is a serious safety issue.

The air spring has a solenoid attached to it. To deflate the spring you need to remove the safety clip and twist the solenoid, carefully. It'll twist and drop down releasing the air. The solenoid is the yellowish part on the air spring in the attached picture.

Do I have to lift the vehicle?

To deflate the spring yes. If it's not jacked up and supported releasing the air will cause the truck to drop and if you're underneath could be seriously injured.

Well the truck is all the way too the floor also so I’m not sure how that airbag has air in it

No way of knowing for sure, but definitely not worth the risk. Typically the weight of the truck is supported by four air springs, currently it seems to be supported by one. It could be fully pressurized, just overwhelmed by the excessive load.

That was my taught exactly I think that when the previous owner turned off the suspension something went wrong I’ll take it back to the mechanic and have them do what you suggested

If I can be of any further assistance do not hesitate to ask. If not, please rate my service. If for any reason you feel you cannot rate my service five stars please let me know.

Michael
Michael, Ford Senior Master Technician
Great thank you so much

You're welcome. Thank you for choosing justanswer.com!