Lincoln

Lincoln Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I have a loud clunking noise at the rear side of my 2014…

Customer Question
I have a loud...

I have a loud clunking noise at the rear side of my 2014 Lincoln MKZ

Mechanic's Assistant: Where exactly do you think the noise is coming from? And how long has this been going on?

When ever I begin the motion to drive it sounds loud but when it’s on top speed the sound goes away

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your MKZ yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I have changed the calipers and brakes but the sound is coming from the rear

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Lincoln
3/27/2018
Lincoln Mechanic: Jake, Auto Mechanic replied 3 months ago
Jake
Jake, Auto Mechanic

Hey there, thanks for the question.

Is your MKZ front wheel drive or all wheel drive model?

It’s all wheel drive

does the clunking speed increase with vehicle speed? or is it more random?

There’s no clunking noise when the speed increases
Sometimes it’s random

Thanks, ***** *****

You accelerate and it clunks? one cluknk or multiple clunks?

The clunk or clunks STOPS at what speed?

It clunks when I begin driving within 20 and stops when I hit 60 or 70
When the car is slowly driving then it clunks but at high speed it stops. Sometimes it may be random

Thank you, ***** ***** quite a few possibilities to be honest.

The more random the clunking is the more likely its going to be suspension related. something like a loose or worn strut mount would cause an occasional clunk on one of the corners.

If the clunking was less random and seemed more rythmic then it's likely related to the drive shaft or carrier bearing. This could easily be ruled out by temporarily removing the drive shaft and letting it run on a lift and see if it dissapears.

lastly if it clunks more ONLY in turns and incorporates a vibration it could be related to the rear diff.

anyone of these issues could see to resolve at speed, since you at final drive and the shaft is spinning and a very high rate of speed. it woul dbe most noticeable on acceleration UNLESS it was suspension related.

It happens too when I make a turn. A loud vibrating sound comes

thats LESS likely a suspension issue.

Your looking more likely to have a carrier bearing or rear diff issue.

The car will need to be put on a lift and it identified. They can then remove the shaft and verify if that's it.

Can the carrier bearing be replaced?

Yes, absolutely but don't throw parts at it just yet.

have it confirmed.

Thank you
Do you have diagrams

Your welcome, which diagram are you looking for?

The carrier bearing and differential
For a 3.7l engine

i cannot pull the diagrams for this i tried and the dealer parts system shows the driveshaft assembly with the carrier as a unit, only the clutch diff seperately.

You can get it aftermarket seperate from the shaft though, to remove it you simply remove the driveshaft and joint, pull the carrier off and use a jaw puller to seperate the original bearing form the shaft, clean it up real good, grease it, then install teh new one and torque it down.

if there is anything else I can do to help let me know.

If not, all i ask is that you leave a kind rating.

thanks.

Pls help me with the last one. The trunk of my Lincoln MKZ 2014 3.7 fails to open. I have changed all the components.
Did you make sure the valet switch is off?
it’s off. I never set a valet switch. But where is it located.
In the glove box
People generally set them on accident
It’s off. And it’s located on the touch screen.
Interesting most manufacturers put them in the glove box because it’s lockable.Granted some have an off switch and a valet switch.Anyways, does it no work by the FOB or by the switch?
The keyfob and switch does not work. First it was taken time to open or close then it stopped.
I found a drain plug on the carrier case. Can I fill more fluid to stop the noise and what kind or fluid.
You must be talking about the transfer case, no fluid for the carrier.So does the trunk pop but not lift? Or just won’t open at all?
Clarify please
the transfer case has a drain plug. Do you think the issue is from lack of lubricant or bearing needs to be changed? As for the trunk I can open it manually using the release string from the inside. But does not work automatically
It does not pop and lift. I can only open it using the release string from the inside
The car was placed on a lift and it never clunked. What is your suggestion?
When it doesn’t clunk on the lift, then it’s usually suspension or differential related. Have seen the rear diffs not make noise on the lift. You really have to isolate the exact location of the noise. Seems like the more we chat the more the details change here.

If you need additional help with this please let me know!

If not, please just be sure to leave me a kind rating so the site credits me for my time is all.

thanks.