Lincoln

Lincoln Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Intermittent ABS and Brake light come on, all indicators on…

Intermittent ABS and Brake...

Intermittent ABS and Brake light come on, all indicators on panel go to dashes, speedometer stops working. When it comes back to normal everything works okay, and doors lock. Sometimes it stays that way for days. No problem with car. Everything works, and never know when it's going to out.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the fuses? The dashboard bulbs?

If it were a fuse it would stay out, but can be driving along and it all begins to work normal. Sometimes start the car, ABS brake light on & all dashes, no numbers no speedometer. Other times, start it up and everything is just fine. When out, after I drive for awhile the ODO light will start flashing too.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Lincoln?

2001 Lincoln Towncar Caretl

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

Cartel - sorry!

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Garage has tried to find a code when it happens, no luck so they say it might be a wire somewhere.

3/27/2018
Chris (aka- Moose), Technician

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka-Moose).

• THE TIME I AM ONLINE, 7 days a week normally online around midday and then late evening until early morning.
  • PHONE CALLS are automatically offered by the website normally after my first reply. I complete calls where I feel it is a benefit.
  • UPLOADED LINKS I SEND, if I upload dropbox links, they will open on a home PC, often they fail on a work PC, on a phone use the box on the top right of your phone screen for direct download.

The speed signal comes from the ABS module. So the focus is there. Someone needs to see if there is a possible wiring concern there like the speed signal wire to the PCM or a power or ground issue to the ABS. The loss of speed signal is causing all these issues and my bet is without diag done yet is the ABS module is bad.

You now will see a rating scale 1=bad to-5=excellent because I have posted a full or partial answer instead of an info request. When you rate I get a portion of the deposit you made, no rating means you still paid, but I earn nothing. My goal is understanding your question, and addressing it in full detail. In return, receiving a 5-star rating. Rating does not close the post or stop the conversation. Please keep in contact and reply as much as needed. Thanks, Chris

Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Customer reply replied 22 days ago
Thank you Chris. I saw some posts about "moisture" issues in the ABS area, perhaps the connector, but, this is an excellent answer and one that I will go to work on because it's intermittent, causes no operating problems at all, just the indicators go awry. So, connection or an ABS "going bad" but not quite "bad all the way" yet is my target.
Thank you very much and I hoping the rating header comes back up after I send this message.

Glad I could help.

Chris (aka- Moose), Technician