Lincoln

Lincoln Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

About to correct/repair a constant "knocking" sound in the…

About to correct/repair a...

About to correct/repair a constant "knocking" sound in the rear auxiliary

Mechanic's Assistant: Where exactly do you think the noise is coming from? And how long has this been going on?

About to correct/repair a constant "knocking" sound coming from the driver's side rear-panel section. This has been going on for about a week--I think I need to remove the "bezel" near the rear window & the access panel. Is the part that I need to replace called "AUXILIARY BLOWER MOTOR RESISTER"?

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the make/model/year of your car?

2003 Lincoln Aviator

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Aviator yourself? What have you tried so far?

I am fixing it myself. My son (now passed away) had the same problem with a Ford Explorer and he repaired it himself & I remember him telling about how he went about it, but I don' t know which part was defective.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Guess not--Thanx

3/27/2018
Pete, Mechanic

The part you need to replace is called a door servo motor. There are 2 of them mounted on the aux heater box. One controls the temp and the other controls the air direction. You will have to remove the cover or bezel to see which one you need. They are available after market but I use the oem ones from ford since they are more reliable.

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
I guess I didn't make my case clear. the knocking sound is coming from the extreme left-rear (driver's side). I have a 2003 Lincoln Aviator Service Manual that shows me how to access the components that relate to the problem. I just don't know exactly which part I need to replace.

The part is called a door servo motor. The door is inside the heater box. It is more of a flap that controls air flow inside the heater box.

The reason that it clicks or knocks is that it has plastic teeth that are worn or broken and they skip over the teeth on the air control doors or flaps, inside the heater box.

Ford calls the part a blend door motor actuator.

Since Ford is the Parent company of Lincoln the part will have a Motorcraft part number on it.

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
I do not know where the "auxiliary heater box" is.

It is in the back, on the driver side, above the rear tire.

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
OK--I will look for that, Probably tomorrow--it is 8:30 pm now. I had appt with M. D. today discussing gall bladder removal--plus it has rained all day, so I haven't visited that project again.

Ok good luck with it.

Pete, Mechanic
Customer reply replied 24 days ago
Cold/Rainy all day again today, so I did "Honey-Do's* inside today (Wed.). So, I guess I will end this conversation with this reply--I think I have enough info to, either complete the job or conclude that I am not up to it. I think you gave me good advice--hope I can put it to good use. Thanks, Mel

Ok have a good weekend

Pete, Mechanic