Lincoln

Lincoln Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I've had an intermittent problem with my 2003 Lincoln Town…

I've had an intermittent...

I've had an intermittent problem with my 2003 Lincoln Town Car, Signature series interior lighting for several years. Early on, it continuously blew, on an intermittent basis, the 15 amp fuse in the fuse panel under the dash. Then I changed to a 20 amp fuse which kept things somewhat under control up until a few months ago when the 20 amp fuse would no longer maintain the system. So, I put off looking deeper into the situation until now because yesterday, for no reason, when I opened the drivers door, which had not been locked, the tail lights and cornering lights began to blink as if an alarm could have been tripped. The horn did not sound as I believe about 3 days prior the horn relay failed. So now without any diagnosis, I am thinking the DDM has failed completely. Does that make sense?

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the bulbs? Have you checked the connection?

All the bulbs? What connection?

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Town Car yourself? What have you tried so far?

So far, I have made an appointment with the Lincoln dealer for a diagnostics test which will cost nearly $200.00. So before going that route, I was looking for some hints as to what is going on with the system. I believe the DDM has something to do with the interior lighting as well as the alarm system etc.

3/26/2018
Chad Farhat
Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air conditioning systems

Hi, I'm Chad. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question and I will be posting your reply ASAP.

Hey how are you ,I will Try to Help you with This Issue
In some cases, I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.
I am here Sunday through Friday from around 5 am to 9 pm Eastern time.Zone If you respond and I do not respond back right away I will do so as soon as I can.
If you see a call request on your screen ,That is an automated feature the web site offers all customers.

The DDM is a common issue , I m thinking the alarm went off because of ddm and battery went down below 10 volts and triggered it ?

if you jump or recharge ,is the alarm keep going off ? or will start now ?

Are you looking for the most possible causes or you are repairing it yourself .

Please Let Me Know

Thank You

Chad Farhat

I didn't attempt to start the vehicle, I had just opened the door to retrieve something from the glove box. I have no idea if the battery was low. If it was low then, it is possibly low now so will double check that.
I have a Lincoln Shop Manual which is not the easiest thing to decipher, but would attempt repair if I was reasonably sure the "problem" I was correcting would take care of this situation. My first vehicle was a 1936 Plymouth. That thing only had one fuse for the entire system if I recall correctly. Much easier to troubleshoot!
Thanks,
Jim

Hey Jim

If a scan tool available on this one, you would probably find a B1332 (driver door ajar switch) and/or B1342 (DDM fault) codes stored

I have replaced several over the years for same exact symptoms ,buy a dealer one my suggestion .

CLICK ON LINK TO VIEW AND OPEN THE PDF FILE FOR THE DDM LOCATION AND REMOVE AND REPLACE PROCEDURE

Please Take a Second and Click the Stars at the Top of Your Screen To Rate Me , So I May receive My my Credit , A 5 Stars Rating is Much Appreciated

You are very welcome :)

Please Read Below How to Get Back in touch with Me

Follow Up Questions are Included in The Price of Your Question ,So Feel Free To Ask Me.

Please Keep in Mind that when you Rate Me , it Does Not End our Conversation.

You Can Always Come Back to this Conversation and Ask Me any Follow up Question you May have on this Issue

(You can Copy this Link Page & Paste it in your Browser when Ready and it will Open up our Conversation Again)

or there should be a Tab on your Screen to Add me As Your Favorite Expert

I'm Online Daily from 7 Am Till Late Eastern Time Zone

Thank You?Chad Farhat?ASE Certified Technician

The door ajar switch could be a possible cause of the problem with the interior lighting from day one. If there is a mechanical problem with the switch or wiring, perhaps it was getting progressively worse over time and finally shorted permanently. If so, changing that would probably be an easily accomplished task. Without searching the entire Lincoln shop manual, can you point me to directions for changing that switch or at least inspecting it for an obvious problem that would possibly solve this blown fuse problem.?

The door panel has to be removed and it is part of the latch ,click on link to view Remove and replace

The front door consists of the following components:
- front door latch push button rods
- exterior door handles
- door lock cylinder
- front door latches
- door lock actuators
- door ajar switches
- door latch remote control and links
- interior door handles (part of the door trim panel)

Chad Farhat