Lincoln

Lincoln Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

SPEEDOMETER AND ODOMETER QUIT WORKING. 1996 LINCOLN

SPEEDOMETER AND ODOMETER QUIT...

SPEEDOMETER AND ODOMETER QUIT WORKING

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Lincoln?

1996 LINCOLN CONTINENTAL

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Continental yourself? What have you tried so far?

YES AND I JUST READ THE CODES SO FAR

Mechanic's Assistant: Just to clarify, what's the exact code? And have you tried to reset it?

TWO CODES ACTUALLY NOT SURE WHICH ONE IS FOR THE SPEEDOMETER/ODOMETER BUT THEY ARE P1000 AND U1039 AND YES I TRIED TO RESET THEM

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

THEY STOPPED WORKING AFTER I REPLACED MY FAN MOTOR

3/24/2018
Chris (aka- Moose), Technician

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka-Moose).

• THE TIME I AM ONLINE, 7 days a week normally online around midday and then late evening until early morning.
  • PHONE CALLS are automatically offered by the website normally after my first reply. I complete calls where I feel it is a benefit.
  • UPLOADED LINKS I SEND, if I upload dropbox links, they will open on a home PC, often they fail on a work PC, on a phone use the box on the top right of your phone screen for direct download.

While driving does the transmission shift poorly?

Does the cruise control work?

NO TRANSMITION SHIFTS FINE AND NO CRUISE CONTROL DOES NOT WORK

Thanks, ***** ***** do some researching.

Will your scan tool do more than just read codes?

Monitoring the ABS and PCM are they showing an accurate speed signal?

SAYS MONITOR/DRIVE CYCLE TEST NOT COMPLETE
J1850 INVALID OR MISSING DATA FOR VEHICLE SPEED
NOT SURE WHAT THAT MEANS

Thanks, ***** ***** your tool will not do what we need. The ABS produces the speed signal and then sends it out to the components needing a speed signal. Since the transaxle shifts fine that means the PCM is getting a speed signal. So the concern in this case based on the process of elimination is going to be the PCM or the instrument cluster faulty. We just need a better scan tool to further diagnose.

Chris

YOU CANT DO ANYTHING FOR ME?

I can only tell you it is the PCM or instrument cluster to blame. You need a better scan tool to further diagnose yourself DIY.

Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
OK THANKS

You are welcome.

Sorry, you were not pleased with my help.