Lincoln

Lincoln Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Missing on cylinder 6. 2002 Lincoln ls 3.9 l v8. I've tried…

Missing on cylinder 6 ...

Missing on cylinder 6

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Lincoln?

2002 Lincoln ls 3.9 l v8

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your LS yourself? What have you tried so far?

I've tried fixing it myself.but then took it to Ford and they replaced spark plugs, coils, boots, ecu, and did a compression test. The test was normal.

Mechanic's Assistant: How many miles are on the car? When was the last time the plugs were changed?

212,000 miles. Plugs we're done two days ago.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Ford also replaced the fuel injector rail harness.

3/22/2018
Mike V.
Mike V., Technician

Thank you for your question!
My name is ***** ***** give me a moment to review your question and type my reply. Thanks

It sounds like a lot has been done. I think it should be checked for vacuum leaks along the intake manifold, as well as maybe swapping injector #6 with the one next to it and seeing if the misfire moves. It might be a wiring issue or the injector itself might have a bad spray pattern. If there isn't any change, then a possible leak down test is in order. Sometimes it catches things the compression test mises. i have had times when carbon on the valves will cause a misfire and the compression test came up fine. I think with all that has been done this is where I would check next.

Please let me know if there is anything else I can do to help.
Just Answer does not compensate me for my time and resources, you do when you rate my answer by using the stars at the top of the page. Payment for your question includes any follow-up questions you may have. Free trials and subscription questions still require ratings. Your question does not close after you rate. You will still be able to contact me by replying to this post.
Thank you so much!

It's a little weird because the last few days it only misses until it reaches operational temperature. Then it smooths out. Then other days it never gets Better

Boy, that really does kind of sound like a wiring issue. Do you know if it was misfiring when they had it? Maybe the wiring issue is with the coil and not the fuel rail harness.

Also, I would still consider the leak down test. I had my doubts one time with a car with similar issues and it turned out to be the valves. You might even consider running some fuel injector cleaner through it. If it's not bad it will clean the valves. It won't hurt the engine and might prevent needing a valve job.

Did smoke test to look for leaks and found nothing. Also I did an injector pulse test on all 8. And all coils have been replaced with oem motorcraft. It was missing when they had it yesterday. And they replaced the covers that go over the coils because they said condensation was building up in the spark plugs Wells. I got it back from them and it started doing it again. So yes I think I'll try a leak down test.
Would valves stop miss fire after the engine gets to temperature
Signal test on cylinder 6 coil wire is weak while cold but goes normal at temperature

I think I would, then try the injector cleaner if you find any valve issues. It makes sense that they would want to keep moisture out of the plug holes.

Sometimes it would do that. I had one that only misfired at temp, it took a long time to find the problem. So I do think it's possible it could misfire cold and then stop when it get's warm. I have no doubt the coils are fine, just thinking it could be an issue with the wiring to coil #6 and as it warms up it makes a better connection and stops the misfire. I think I would at least check the wiring from the coil back to the computer. I do think the leak down is a good idea as well. But I am suspicious of the wiring itself to the coil.

Mike V.
Mike V., Technician
I'll check it out. Thank you

You are very welcome and thank you for the rating. One more thing to look at is the grounds. If you find any on the engine, try loosening and tightening them up and see if there is any improvement. With as many miles as you have on it, it could be something like the ground for the coil causing the problem.

Thank you again!

I will keep you posted on the progress. And I'll definitely contact you if I have any more questions.

Sounds good.