Lincoln

Lincoln Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

My Lincoln MKZ 2016 (I'vve had for 9 nine days) is recording…

Customer Question
My Lincoln MKZ 2016...

My Lincoln MKZ 2016 (I'vve had for 9 nine days) is recording mileage incorrectly. Bought (great deal) with 2259 miles from a Ford-Lincoln dealer and now the odometer shows over 2800 miles! I've driven maybe 60. I'm a 70 year old woman who bought with savings and so far (car in service at dealership all day) they have found zero. HELP!

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your MKZ yourself? What have you tried so far?

No...I'm a 70 year old woman. It's at the dealership.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Yes. WHen I purchased it the salesman had someone fill the gas tank....however, we noticed it registered only half filled when we were in the car going over stuff before I left with it.

Mechanic's Assistant: Has the vehicle turned into a gas hog? And how does it start -- same as usual?

I have no idea. Had it nine days.

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Lincoln
3/22/2018
Lincoln Mechanic: HDGene, ASE Certified Technician replied 1 month ago
HDGene
HDGene, ASE Certified Technician

Hello, and thank you for using Just Answer! My name is***** me a few moments to review your question and Ill do my best to assist you.

Hello, double check the instrument selection, you may be on the trip meter verses the odometer. This is easy to switch through by toggling the steering wheel controls. There will be information on these controls in your owners manual. As for the fuel gauge if it was filled with fuel when the car was running there will be a delay in the fuel gauge reading fuel unless you cycle the key to off and back on.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It's been at the dealership all day. They haven't figured it out. I may be old but I learned probably long before you were born that a fuel gauge might lag a bit....not for 60 miles. I bought it at 2259. I've driven about 60 miles....FYI signed the odometer reading slip when I bought it. I thought maybe a mechanic out there would have had experience with a like problem. Obviously not. Lincoln is scoring a big fail in my book. Well, don't feel too badly, the computerized analyst system has come up zero too. I think I'll just pour a cocktail and try to forget today and cars for a while.

Well if the dealer cant find anything wrong there really isnt anything to go on. If the fuel gauge is working properly now then it may have been an intermittent fault. These newer fuel gauges do like being fueled up while running and are well documented to cause delayed issues. I have not seen an instrument cluster give a false odometer reading.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Where did I say the fuel gauge is now working properly? You may not have run across an instrument cluster that gives false readings but I have. I know what I see. Believe me I know my area well and how far the burger joint is from my home. The car is registering six miles and it's 2.5. Oh well....

You said the fuel gauge read half full when it was filled with fuel

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Do you call that 'working properly'? I don't.
Lincoln Mechanic: Danny, ASE Certified Technician replied 1 month ago
Danny
Danny, ASE Certified Technician
I've definitely run across instrument clusters that are faulty. Instrument clusters on modern vehicles are actually control modules like me scan with a scan tool, seems to me they just need to replace the instrument cluster with another unit.www.car-part.com is a good source for a used instrument cluster, however the dealership or a locksmith are going to have to replace it so they can program the mileage and also it likely has information for the immobiliser installed in it too.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I picked up the car this morning. They had filled the gas tank and reset the trip odometer. Supposed to drive it til one quarter full and take car back in to be checked. Today the trip home looked like correct mileage from just eyeballing the odometer between the dealership and my home. We'll see.
What did they say that they had to do?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
When I take it back after using 3/4 tank of gas they will check to see if the gas used and mileage "jive" for the lack of a better term.
Danny
Danny
Danny, ASE Certified Technician