Lincoln

Lincoln Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I am a dealer - I have a 2006 Lincoln Navigator that

Customer Question
misfires under a load....
I am a dealer - I have a 2006 Lincoln Navigator that misfires under a load. I had a P0012 code for VCT Sensors so I swapped both of those, a cylinder 6 misfire so I replaced that COP, then a P0352 so swapped coil pack and got same code after test drive. I suspect it has something to do with VCT oil delivery the SUV was used as a limo has 200k and idled alot. However not sure acts like intake gasket but no related codes - it runs better after it has warmed up for a while, does OK with light throttle but stumbles trying to accelerate in OD or hard at all. it idles good usually but added a STP oil treatment and it got worse so I put in 2 cans of seafoam and am going to change oil tomorrow i let it run an hour - the other day it threw P0012 AFTER I replaced Both VCT solenoids
Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Lincoln
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/20/2018
Lincoln Mechanic: Kenny Z., Lincoln Technician replied 1 month ago
Kenny Z.
Kenny Z., Lincoln Technician

Hello, my name is***** and thanks for your question.

Do you remember what part number solenoids you installed, the new high flow design 8L3Z-6M280-B?

You have 2 issues, The P0352 is either going to be a wiring problem between the coil and PCM or the PCM itself. The P0012 is different issue.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The misfire on cylinder 2 is the least of my worries P0012 AFTER I replaced the VCT solenoids is my main concern it is saying that bank 1 has retarded timing

Did you use the 8L3Z-6M280-B solenoids or no

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I used a two(2) TS1010 Duralast from Autozone that part number cross references with 8L3Z-6M280-B one on each side of engine

I know the part number cross references, but I wonder if the solenoids are actually the updated high flow style.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
An old Ford Master Tech told me to use "Kreen" to clean out and dissolve deposits in the cam phasers - i used Seafoam because Kreen is not on the shelves of the local parts stores. he told me the bank 1 phaser was staying retarded due to oil flow. As I said when I added stp oil treatment (thick) it ran worse, i planned on draining the oil and possibly adding synthetic that will slowly dissolve and remove any deposits BUT it rained and hailed here today so we are gonna take it easy. Tommorrow I am definitely changing the oil or may run it to a shop across the street tonight. Would the phaser not advancing cause a confirmed cyl#2 misfire?

If the engine is sludged in my experience breaking it up causes it to clog the fine screens in the solenoid bodies and solenoid making it even worse. With the timing retarded on bank 1 it can cause any of the cylinders on bank one to misfire. P0352 is not a cylinder 2 misfire code, it is a coil #2 primary circuit code. Cylinder 2 misfire code is P0302. Usually these won't even set misfire codes as the misfire monitor is disabled due to the crank/cam sync error from being over retarded on bank 1. Its not that the aftermarket solenoid is incorrect or won't operate properly. Ford redesigned these solenoids and updated the part number. Any aftermarket solenoid is going to cross to the part number. But if the aftermarket solenoids are the same ones that crossed to Ford's old part number then it does not mean they updated the part. I am just saying this because the redesigned solenoids have increased oil flow to overcome low oil pressure concerns to the phasers. If the aftermarket did not update the design of the solenoid then it is the same as Ford's original design that did not have the increased flow/pressure that the redesigned solenoid has.

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
well I had the oil changed with 2w20 with new filter and it still runs bad (but smoother) it has a p0352 Code getting ready to inspect wiring and swap coil to #1 to see if it sets the same code.it only wants to run right in the higher rpms when taking off from a light I had ALOT of problems get it to go at all from a stop I had to feather the gas until I had enough RPMs for it to clear out and run good but couldnt give it too much gas either or it will fall on its face.
Lincoln Mechanic: Kenny Z., Lincoln Technician replied 28 days ago

Let me know what you find with the P0352.

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
I found the problem at coil pack #2 there was an issue with the connector I repaired it so it runs smooth and Nice at idle and if you drive it with minimal to normal throttle but if you Accelerate hard in lower RPMs i can hear spark knock, If it kicks down into lower gear I am hearing back firing in exhaust, it surges and at wide open throttle (WOT) it has NO power like the cat is clogged but it is not. I also hear what I assume is cam phaser knock/tick in nuetral or park and it goes away when you put it in gear and there is a load resistance.It threw a NEW code now I have p0304 3xit also has p1991 p1998 and p1000 recurring and cant clear those codes

I will opt out and see if another experts has any input

Kenny Z.
Kenny Z.
Kenny Z., Lincoln Technician