Lincoln

Lincoln Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

2002 Lincoln town car anti theft system will not stay

2002 Lincoln town car...

2002 Lincoln town car anti theft system will not stay progrmed

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Town Car yourself? What have you tried so far?

Changed computer and local ford dealer programmed computer they have given up on repairing the car

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Replaced encoder still. Same

3/19/2018
EricFromCT
EricFromCT, Technician

Hi. Welcome to chat! My name is ***** ***** I am currently a factory dealer auto mechanic. I will attempt to assist you with your concern today.

What computer was replaced? The instrument cluster or the engine computer?

PCM

All of the pats (anti-theft) functions are controlled by the instrument cluster on the towncar. The instrument cluster would have been a much better choice of module to replace. You would need to make sure that it has all the power and grounds it should to keep its memory. Then possibly replace it.

PCM was replaced to fix a transmission problem the anti theft problem occurred a few days later

Ok. But the pcm does not cause the theft light to blink rapidly. That is all done in the instrument cluster. The instrument cluster only commands the pcm to start the car when valid keys are detected.

You could have an issue with the transciever located around the ignition cylinder. If the key is not being read correctly, it will act as if a non programmed key is in the ignition

If I turn the key on for 10 minuets with the drivers door open the car will start after sitting a few hours it want start

In that 10 minutes is the theft light flashing or is it off?

Customer Satisfaction is my #1 goal!

1. I am a FACTORY DEALER auto mechanic and also answer questions here on Just Answer.

2. When you are pleased or happy with my assistance or efforts to help you, at the top of the screen please rate me by clicking on the stars.

3. Rating does not close the post and you're more than welcome to ask follow up questions.

Thank you for using Just Answer and allowing my to assist you!

It turns off

That indicates the cluster is getting the signal from the keys. I would not say that your problem is the keys loosing there program, but the cluster not communicating to the PCM. I would think that a network test has already been done, power and grounds verified at pcm, etc.. I would also check for codes in the cluster and pcm.

Thank you, ***** ***** try that

Your welcome. Please note that rating this chat with the stars above, you can still bookmark this page and come back when you get more information or have some more questions. Thanks

Customer Satisfaction is my #1 goal!

EricFromCT
EricFromCT, Technician