Lincoln

Lincoln Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

New battery...wont turn over. I just replaced it 2 days ago.

Customer Question
New battery...wont turn over ...

New battery...wont turn over

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you tested the battery with a voltmeter? And can you see if it's leaking or not?

I just replaced it 2 days ago

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Lincoln?

1993 someone sid to tap starter with wrench and turn key

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes at this point...nothing

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Lincoln
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/19/2018
Lincoln Mechanic: Edward, Service Technician replied 5 months ago
Edward
Edward, Service Technician

Hello and thanks for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will do all I can to help.

When you turn on the ignition switch? does the instrument cluster light up? and are the headlights bright? If so, try putting the transmission in neutral and seeing if you can crank it in neutral.

Lights up won’t turn over

Alright, even in neutral, and moving the gear stick around, you get nothing correct? is this a 93 town car? thank you.

Alright, The next step, is to verify power to the starter signal wire at the starter motor with a volt meter or test light. Here is the wiring diagram, if you have power to the RED/BLUE wire at the starter motor with the key in START position and a battery that's good, then it will likely need a starter motor itself, you can take it off and have it tested, or give it the hammer test with somebody holding the key, that works sometimes, but you really need to verify power to it with the key in START position to be sure it's getting power when it should. here is the wiring diagram showing the circuit. It will probably need a starter motor but need to double check the circuit first. let us know if you have any further questions. Thank you.