Lincoln

Lincoln Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I have a Lincoln Town Car 2000, and had the battery replaced…

Hello, I have a Lincoln Town...
I have a Lincoln Town Car 2000, and had the battery replaced in January when AAA diagnosed that it needed to be replaced. The car had not been starting and needed a jump very frequently. I thought it was because of the cold weather and my not having started the car in a week or in two weeks. Now, with the new battery, I had to call AAA for a jump start after not having started the car only in a matter of days. Again, tonight, after taking the car out yesterday, it didn't start again. Could something be draining the battery? If so, what could that be?
3/19/2018
HDGene
HDGene, ASE Certified Technician

Hello, and thank you for using Just Answer! My name is***** me a few moments to review your question and Ill do my best to assist you.

Hello, yes that is a possibility. Since its a Lincoln, there are a lot of accessories that can be causing a draw. Main things to check is to make sure no lights are left on, the door ajar switch isnt showing a door or trunk in open when its closed, causing the interior lights to stay on. Other than that I have mainly seen the radio cause draw issues. But you wont know for sure without performing a draw test using an amp meter and disconnecting fuses and see when the draw drops to zero. Thats if you dont see an issue with the interior lights staying on.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I don't see any lights on. Will AAA do this type of test in my driveway do you think?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Of course, I can't see inside the trunk.

No, they will only offer to give you a jump or tow. A shop would need to perform this type of involved testing if you cant do it on your own. When you pull fuses and the draw goes away then you will know what circuit if affected to try and isolate which component on that circuit is at fault.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Was it unsafe to drive the car with this going on?

If it keeps draining the battery it can cause the new battery to fail, causing a no start, that would be the main thing. You could have a battery disconnect switch installed if you didnt want to find out the source of the draw by a shop so when you shut it down you would have to pop the hood and disconnect the battery.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
OK, thank you. Would the battery be ruined if it is something drawing it? Or once that is fixed, would the battery maintain its charge and still be OK?

Yes it will make the battery fail prematurely since you can only recharge it so many times when it goes dead. Once it is fixed it should hold its charge. If you need more help or information please let me know. If I was helpful, please use the 5 stars above to leave a positive rating.

HDGene
HDGene, ASE Certified Technician

Thank you!

HDGene
HDGene
HDGene, ASE Certified Technician