Lincoln

Lincoln Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

My right headlight is out, even though the bulb is brand…

Hello, my right headlight...

Hello, my right headlight is out, even though the bulb is brand new. I had this issue previous and it was fixed by a mechanic through some electric strategy. I just took it in and was told this might be more serious problem, because no power is reaching that side of the car. i'm not sure exactly what that means, because the high beams still work. they mentioned I might need a new computer module. could you help explain what might be going on and what I might need?

Mechanic's Assistant: Is the power loss consistent, or does it fluctuate?

I don't know, I didn't even know it was out until they ran some diagnostic tests on it. the regular headlight is consistently out, but the high beams on that side consistently work

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Lincoln?

2008 lincoln mkx

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your MKX yourself? What have you tried so far?

This is the report I just got from a mechanic. they looked at it for about an hour and recommended I go to a dealer. this happened a few years ago and it was fixed by a different mechanic, but that was in a different state. the people today said they could see it had been worked on previously but thought this was a larger issue

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I'm not sure anything else is relevant. The key was they thought it was something with the computer module, and said it ws a common issue with lincolns. they also said the light would come on when it was connected to a power source

3/17/2018
EricFromCT
EricFromCT, Technician

Hi. Welcome to chat! My name is ***** ***** I am currently a factory dealer auto mechanic. I will attempt to assist you with your concern today.

Thank you Eric! Please let me know if I can provide additional info that will help

What it sounds like they are saying is that the bulb is ok because it works when power is applied directly to it. So likely there is no power being send due to the fuse box or due to the wiring from the fuse box to the bulb.

Customer Satisfaction is my #1 goal!

1. I am a FACTORY DEALER auto mechanic and also answer questions here on Just Answer.

2. When you are pleased or happy with my assistance or efforts to help you, at the top of the screen please rate me by clicking on the stars.

3. Rating does not close the post and you're more than welcome to ask follow up questions.

Thank you for using Just Answer and allowing my to assist you!

okay that sounds similar to what they said. Can you tell me what the next steps are to address this issue? Is it invasive and costly?

The next step is that they will need to see if the fuse box is outputting power by accessing a connector somewhere and tracing the power flow to see where it is ending. It is not too invasive but a few hours or labor will be needed to access and test wiring and the fuse box itself. I work at a lincoln dealer and have seen the fuse boxes go bad.

Customer Satisfaction is my #1 goal!

Okay I thought they did this but I suppose they didn't since it only took an hour. Is the fusebox the same thing as the "computer module?" they were pretty convinced it was something with the computer module since it is a common issue with lincolns (so they said)

They probably quickly checked for power at the bulb connector only. Because if power is not there then you know it will need more diagnosing. It could be the fuse box. Would not be unheard of, for sure.

Could also be a chaffed or corroded or open wire from the fuse box to the bulb as well.

okay, thank you. does this type of diagnostic procedure need to be completed at a ford dealer? I am wary to take to the dealer because of the expense. do you have a ballpark of expense if this is a fusebox issue?
I just did some searching and it seems like it could be this? B1472 OBD-11 Trouble Code https://www.yourmechanic.com/article/b1472-obd-ii-trouble-code-lamp-headlamp-input-circuit-short-to-ground-by-jerry-renshaw

Most any place can trace wiring and check for power if they have access to the wiring diagrams. But if the fuse box does need to be replaced it does need to be programmed to your car by a dealer.

You have code b1472?

i just searched for diagnostic codes with my cars' symptoms and code b1472 came up. I'm not sure how I would check for that specifically, or what it means beyond the link I sent

That is not a valid why to assume of codes that may be stored. The code can be checked with a diagnostic scanner that can scan the fuse box.

Customer Satisfaction is my #1 goal!

EricFromCT
EricFromCT, Technician
ok thank you