Lincoln

Lincoln Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Replaced a dead battery and it seems there is a security…

Replaced a dead battery...

Replaced a dead battery and it seems there is a security issue that causes the car not to start

Mechanic's Assistant: Did you test the battery with a voltmeter? And have you ever changed one before?

Brand new battery and yes, I have changed many batteries, but never on a lincoln

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Lincoln?

2005 town car belongs to my elderly great aunt

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Town Car yourself? What have you tried so far?

Just replaced the battery and tried to start the car

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

That's all I can think of so far

3/17/2018
Scott W.
Scott W., Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** happens when you turn the key on? Does the instrument cluster power up? Does the red theft light flash rapidly, 3 blinks a second?

Yes for the last question I asked, the theft light flashes rapidly?

to both

OK do you have another programmed key for the vehicle to try?

possibly. Here's the situation...I'm in Springfield, MO, 200+ miles away from the car, on the phone with my brother-in-law, who is actually working on trying to get my great-aunt's car started, so we can sell it for her. She's 92, and can no longer drive. I will see if he has her other programmed keys that he can try
I've had him turn the key from off to on, 8 times, like I had to do with my explorer, to get it to accept programming for my new remote, and was hoping that would do the same trick for the Lincoln

O​K I see, hopefully there is another key, if not it will need to have at least 2 programmed so it will start, it's not a big deal to do but you have to be at a dealer or have a locksmith that has an ids to program the keys.

Trying the 8 key on off procedure is only for the remote fobs.

That should read if he finds an already programmed key at her residence, then it will start, if not, then 2 key will need to be programmed for the vehicle to start.

Cool. Just relayed that back to him, and he's looking for a 2nd key. I'm assuming that he has to try with one key, then the next, before it will start?

N​o, all he needs is the other key, and if it is programmed to the vehicle, it will start.

excellent. Thanks!

I suspect a key has went bad, it happens from time to time.

Thank you for your business!!, When you are finished, all I ask is you rate my service today, as this is how I am paid for my time, thanks Scott

Scott W.
Scott W., Technician
he said the 4th key worked. Thanks for the help!

Awesome!! Thanks again!