Lincoln

Lincoln Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

2005 Lincoln LS Cooling fan is very loud

Customer's question: What would cause the coolng fan to run at high speed all the time?

Mechanic's answer: Advised on location of cylinder  head temperature sensor and what to check on cooling system for possible problems with the cooling fan.

Read full interaction below »

Hello. I have a 2005 Lincoln LS. There is a fan kicking into high gear and it is really loud like a turbine engine. I believe it is the cooling fan. There are no check engine lights or any other warning codes showing in the dash.

Mechanic's Assistant: Does the light stay on, or does it blink?

There is no check engine light

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your LS yourself? What have you tried so far?

Well I've already taken it to the ford dealership, they inspected it and said it gave then a clean bill of health. I took it to 2 other shops and they basically said the same thing. After doing some research of my own, I've come to the conclusion that it could be my water pump is bad or I need a coolant temperature sensor.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Does this car have a temperature coolant sensor or cylinder head sensor? and if so where are they located? I bought a temperature coolant sensor from the auto parts store today and will see if I can put it in tomorrow just to see if it will solve the problem.

3/17/2018
HDGene
HDGene, ASE Certified Technician

Hello, and thank you for using Just Answer! My name is***** me a few moments to review your question and Ill do my best to assist you.

Hello, which engine is in the LS the V6 or V8, is it the hydraulic cooling fan system? When does it get loud, all the time? The dealer couldn't duplicate the concern, no codes stored? Is t overheating or running hot?

It is a v8, it doesn't get loud right away but after you start the engine up and drive it for a few miles then you can actually hear fan kick into high gear. It is not running hot or anything like that. There are no check engine lights or any other warnings. Just a really loud fan. Could it be it needs a new sensor or water pump?

Hello, the cooling fan will duty cycle from low to high speed based on engine temperature. It is possible you have a restriction in the radiator or sticking thermostat. Typically a fan will run at a higher speed when the engine is running hotter, so the PCM commands it to run faster to help cool it down. If the dealer gave it a clean bill of health then you need to use a scan tool to verify what temperature the cooling fan runs at high speed. An infra red temperature gun can help check for cold spots in the radiator indicating a blockage in it, leaning towards a need to replace it.

Could it also be that a coolant temperature sensor is needed or a bad water pump?

Only if the water pump is leaking or there is damage to the impeller, causing a lack of flow, as i mentioned, the fans kick on due to temperature. If the temperature sensor is giving a false reading, it can cause the fans to run at a higher speed.

Ok. What I will do is take it to the mechanic on Tuesday and have them inspect my radiator and water pump. In the meantime, would it be possible if I can replace the temperature sensor myself to see if that will fix the issue? Are there any other types of sensors related to the cooling fan?

Yes you can try that if you like. the coolant temp sensor is the main sensor for the cooling fan

Ok. Is it hard to locate or replace?
Ok. If I can't do it myself then I will have the mechanic look at on Tuesday. I will also have them thoroughly inspect the radiator and water pump too. I appreciate your feedback. It was very helpful

You are welcome. If you need more help please let me know. If I was helpful, please use the 5 stars above and leave a positive rating.

HDGene
HDGene, ASE Certified Technician

Thank you!