Lincoln

Lincoln Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I have an E-brake that goes all the way to the floor, but…

Customer Question
I have an E-brake that...
I have an E-brake that goes all the way to the floor, but only slightly works.
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Lincoln
Not sure why a "Ford"mechanic was not on the list, but...
just replaced the rear brake system, drums, shoes, guts... just cannot seem to get this E brake working... 1997 E150 Power Wagon.
3/16/2018
Lincoln Mechanic: Chris (aka- Moose), Technician replied 4 months ago
Chris (aka- Moose), Technician

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka-Moose).

• THE TIME I AM ONLINE, 7 days a week normally online around midday and then late evening until early morning.
  • PHONE CALLS are automatically offered by the website normally after my first reply. I complete calls where I feel it is a benefit.
  • UPLOADED LINKS I SEND, if I upload dropbox links, they will open on a home PC, often they fail on a work PC, on a phone use the box on the top right of your phone screen for direct download.

Possible causes for this are the shoes not adjusted or assembled correct. The brake cable stretched and needing to be adjusted. Normally the shoes are not adjusted out to the correct clearance to the drum and that is to blame.

You now will see a rating scale 1=bad to-5=excellent because I have posted a full or partial answer instead of an info request. When you rate I get a portion of the deposit you made, no rating means you still paid, but I earn nothing. My goal is understanding your question, and addressing it in full detail. In return, receiving a 5-star rating. Rating does not close the post or stop the conversation. Please keep in contact and reply as much as needed. Thanks, Chris

How do you adjust the E brake cable tension?

Step one is to adjust the brake shoes with the star wheel at the base of the brake backing plate.

Step two on the drivers frame rail adjust the cable https://www.dropbox.com/s/tqufae2tm4csh5b/cable%20adjust.pdf?dl=0

Step one, will do.I have seen the illustration for step 2, but this is not what my vehicle is equipped with. I will attach photograph in a few minutes.

Thanks, ***** ***** be offline till tonight and will respond then or tomorrow.

That is the same part as I sent in the Ford directions. It has the adjuster and equalizer to pull both cables equal.

Hello, Chris here again,

I am checking in to make sure you got everything you expected from my response. If any part of my response is unclear, please let me know. It’s my goal to deliver excellent service, so if I've done that, please don't forget to give me a 5-star rating.You can still reply. I want to make sure you were pleased with what you paid for.

Thanks Chris