Lincoln

Lincoln Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I can get my anti theft light to go off. Which fuse would it…

Customer Question
I can get my...

I can get my anti theft light to go off

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the fuses? Have you tried to reset the computer?

Which fuse would it be?

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Lincoln?

1999 town and country

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Town and Country yourself? What have you tried so far?

The car won't start

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

It just cranks but won't kick over

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Lincoln
3/10/2018
Lincoln Mechanic: EricFromCT, Technician replied 4 months ago
EricFromCT
EricFromCT, Technician

Hi. Welcome to chat! My name is ***** ***** I am currently a factory dealer auto mechanic. I will attempt to assist you with your concern today.

So when you turn the key ON, the theft light flashes rapidly?

The car won't crank over

Ok. Does the check engine light turn on when the key is turned to the ON position?

check engine light is on
The car has been sitting since at least Sept or Oct

Oh ok. Assuming a mouse did not get in there and eat wires, then likely it had a dead battery or no battery in it and the key lost its program to the car.

New battery have tried jump starting it currently I have it connected to my other car

was the battery dead from the car sitting?

Customer Satisfaction is my #1 goal!

1. I am an independent FACTORY DEALER auto mechanic and also answer questions here on Just Answer.

2. When you are pleased or happy with my assistance or efforts to help you, at the top of the screen please rate me by clicking on the stars.

3. Rating does not close the post and you're more than welcome to ask follow up questions.

Thank you for using Just Answer and allowing my to assist you!

What do you mean the key lost its program to car
No I thought it might been the battery
My husband had a bad battery in it before so it was replaced.
Could I forgot to connect something after the serpentine belt was replaced when a bypass pully was put on?

The keys have a security chip in them. It gets programmed to the car. The car only can start when it reads the correct key with a chip. WHen the theft light flashes it means the car is not seing a programmed key in the ignition. A dead battery for a while can cause the keys to loose program.

I doubt doing bypass pulley caused anything. Unless you somehow blew a fuse but I doubt it.

There's no chip in the key or the other spare
I had the car jumped back in Nov it sreatch real load and then notice there was air in the power steering and that the a.c. pully wasn't working correctly. So I replaced it with the bypass pully and all pully move now. Now it won't crank over like before
When I put the key in light goes off but car won't crank

The original question says "anti theft light to go off"?

And if there is an anti-theft light then there is a chip in the key

I guess what I'm saying when I put it in acc it goes off but comes on when car won't kick over
There no chips my other car has a light too but no chip too

Sure. Have you checked the starter?

Customer Satisfaction is my #1 goal!

It was replaced in July and after that by month later or to the car just sat

Do you have a test light to check for power at various fuses and relays possibly the starter?

I'd have to go and see and dig out those from my shed my husband might have one

Ok.

Still moving stuff sorry

Alright. I have to log off for the evening. I will open this question back up so another available expert can continue and keep you working. Thanks.

Thank you
Lincoln Mechanic: sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician replied 4 months ago
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer! I apologize for the extended wait time you experienced, I've only just come online now and would like to assist you with your question.

You may have several different things going on and it's going to require some testing to determine exactly what is going on.

If the security light in the center of the dash is flashing then security is active, but you don't mention the alarm actually going off. If the alarm was going off then the horn would honk and lights would flash for two minutes, the engine would start and die three times and then lock the starter out. Is this what actually happened?