Lincoln

Lincoln Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Air compresser runs but the vehicle would not go up and air…

Air compresser runs but...

Air compresser runs but the vehicle would not go up and air is leaking at the rear passenger air bag strut between the top of the air bag and the metal cover. i jacked up the vehicle with the tire off then used another jack to hold the axle where the tire would be. when i turned the suv on the vehicle raised all the way up. Then i turned the suv off, removed the jacks and put the tire back on. At this point the entire vehicle was lifted how ever the same one i jacked up was a little lower. when i turned the suv back on it raised to proper position.

Mechanic's Assistant: How old are the tires? And have they been a problem in the past?

New

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Lincoln?

I think the internal shock is bad

Mechanic's Assistant: What year is your Lincoln?

2005

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes

3/9/2018
Ronnie
Ronnie, ASE Certified Technician

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I am happy to assist you today. Give me just a moment to review your post, and I'll be right back with the help you need.

05 Lincoln navigator i think the internal shock in the bag may be to weak. As now that the vehicle is lifted all the way around no air is coming out

The common cause of this type of leak is usually the Airbag its self. Are you able to pinpoint the source of the leak, all your doing with it finally lifted is extending the airbag which will usually stop the leak until it goes back down. If you are not seeing leaks at the supply line then that really only leaves the Airbag assembly. Do you need the removal steps?

no leaks anywhere other then the top of back right air back but its not a crack or hole its squeezing out where between the where air bag connects to the metal pate of the strut
could their be to much pressure on the bag if the shock under the bag is weak causing the air to come out

No, the system is designed to handle pressure and there is no way for the air to escape without having a leak.

oh so maybe it is something inside of the strut bad

The usual cause is cracking on the airbag right at the top which is the airbag assembly.

i took it off yesterday and took the strut apart the bag looks fairly new i put a little air pressure on it and saw no bubles
with soap water sprayed on

How about leaving it in place and then spray it with soapy water and see if you can pinpoint the leak. If the line is not leaking that only leaves the airbag.

i could see where dust was on the metal pate and the top of the plastic at the top of the bag
right where the leak was, about 2 in wide of dust
right now its on and the vehicle is level and up and their is no air coming out of the bag

Okay, that has to be the airbag. There is nothing else up there that can leak. Sure sounds to me like the assembly needs to be replaced. The position of the bag will sometimes stop the leak.

i should order a new bag? or strut?

It will come as an assembly.

i see that i can just order a bag by its self but it comes with no parts
i noticed the yellow float in the strut seemed miss shaped a bit

If I was doing this I would replace the complete assembly, its your call.

okay well i guess its off to the junk yard to give it a shot. the whole assembly is around 500 new

Well if you can get a good used one that will work.

Ronnie
Ronnie, ASE Certified Technician
thank you , found it for 230 new