Lincoln

Lincoln Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

We accidentally pulled the emergency escape switch inside…

We accidentally pulled the...

We accidentally pulled the emergency escape switch inside the trunk. And now the trunk will not close. It is a 2006 Lincoln Town Car.

Mechanic's Assistant: What exactly is happening to the trunk?

The trunk lid will go down to the latch but it will not hold. It is a power lock

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Town Car yourself? What have you tried so far?

It just happened tonight. We have only tried to close the lid.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Yes, I am hoping it's just a simple reset procedure that will get the trunk working again

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/8/2018
Michael
Michael, Ford Senior Master Technician

Hello, my name is Michael. I will be assisting you today. Give me a moment to review your question and get right with you.

The trunk safety release cable should be spring loaded and return to it's proper position after use. With the trunk not latching, I suspect the spring loaded return is binding.

You can try to push the cable back into place. Looking at the release handle you can see where the plastic handle attaches to a cable. Try to push the cable back towards the latch, it should only move about half an inch. If it slides in, try to close the trunk. If the trunk won't close, then you can spray some WD-40 into the trunk latch to try to lubricate the latch. Then pull the handle gently several times to try to free up the mechanism. Then try to close the trunk. If that doesn't work you will need to replace the latch assembly to get it to close again.

If I can be of any further assistance do not hesitate to ask. If not, please rate my service. If for any reason you feel you cannot rate my service five stars please let me know.

Michael
Michael, Ford Senior Master Technician
Michael
Michael
Michael, Ford Senior Master Technician