Lincoln

Lincoln Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Check engine light came on and went to auto zone used their…

Check engine light came...

Check engine light came on and went to auto zone used their error code reader and error code P0108. Took it to repair shop where they reset/cleared check engine light. Told me to go drive around and return when the check engine light turned back on and he would do diagnostic @ that time. Well I drove AROUND town and to neighboring town and back/forth to work which is about 5 block

Mechanic's Assistant: Does the light stay on, or does it blink?

Still Never came back on...

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Lincoln?

On Saturday my brother cleaned the mass sensor and replaced air filter but when he tested the Sensor after cleaning it the car kept runningw when he unplugged it...so we replsced it. Tested the new sensor by unplugging it and it kept running then check ENGINE light turned. Bsck onr

Mechanic's Assistant: What year is your Lincoln?

Went to auto zone after work today and different codes came up...P0113. & P2106

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

2004 LS v8

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

???

3/6/2018
Kenny Z.
Kenny Z., Lincoln Technician

Hello, my name is***** and thanks for your question.

Does the engine ever run differently, throttle response, misfire, hesitation?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The only thing that I feel might be a little different is higher idle when i start car but it eventually goes back down...I really haven't driven it faster than 50 mph but i did feel a lil hesitation when i was trying to turn in front of a car today

Ok thanks.

P0108 is a MAP code. The MAP sensor is incorporated into the EGR valve on this model. I have replaced them often for that code.

The P0113 and P2106 were set when he unplugged the MAF sensor with the engine running. The engine should definitely not stall when unplugging the MAF with the engine running, the computer has multiple failsafes that will keep the engine running even with loss of MAF signal. If the P2106 ever returns, I would recommend replacing all 8 of the ignition coils and spark plugs. Very common for these coils to breakdown and emit large amounts of RF which plays havoc with the throttle body control circuits. Definitely do not replace the throttle body if that code returns without changing the coils/plugs first.

If you are satisfied with your answer, please take a moment to rate my service before you go. Experts are not compensated without a positive rating. Providing a rating does not close the question, you can reply or ask additional questions without incurring further charges. Rating my answer positive charges your account the full question value and credits me. Submitting for a refund removes the credit from my account and makes me donate my time and experience for free, which is not my intention. Please only rate positive if you are satisfied and intend on paying for the services you agreed to. Thanks!

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I'm sorry but I'm a bit confused. When my brother unplugged the New Sensor the car kept running and when he reconnected it caused check engine light to turn on and the P0113 & P2106 are false error code readings? Need to Reset/Clear Check Engine Light? Nothing else should/needs to be done/Fixed Or Replaced?

All I can say is unplugging the MAF with the engine running will definitely cause P0113 and P2106. Yes you can clear it. If by chance the P2106 returns then my comment about the coils applies. The original P0108 would be the MAP, it is probably an intermittent problem.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
How do I clear/reset check engine light? Is it safe to say that since we replaced MAP/MAS/MAF sensor (Whatever its called..lol) and put in new air filter on Saturday, the initial error code P0108 is taken care of? What I feel might be different is idle/rpm a bit higher. What's normal/corrext/
perfect rpm?

You can clear codes by disconnecting battery for an hour. As I stated the MAF (mass air flow) and the MAP (manifold absolute pressure) sensors are 2 different things. Clearing the codes will take care of the P0013 and P2106. You did not repair anything for the P0108, If it returns I would replace the EGR valve, the MAP is integrated into the EGR valve. If the 2106 returns then the coils would be the concern, but I am confident unplugging the MAF caused both those codes.

Idle speed hot in gear 600-800 rpm.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
We did put in new MAF Sensor on Saturday.
Ok, I don't know what those numbers for rpm even mean�� it's been(the red indicater on dash. The one next to MPH gauge) going/Staying @ 1-1 1/2. After I start car its over 1 1/2 real close to the 2 rpm then it lowers to 1- 1 1/2

P0108 cannot be caused by MAF....only MAP. Idle too high that is 1000 - 1500 rpm. Does it feel like the engine is idling high? Hard to hold back with the brakes?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I replaced something that wasn't needed/problem? �� Yes, it does. It kinda does... I feel like it will go/coast along without accelerating when i take foot off brake.

Yes I don't understand why MAF was replaced. It is NORMAL for engine to not stall when unplugging MAF. Did the idle concern show up after the MAF was replaced?

Was it a Ford MAF or aftermarket?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Huh��, bought it at Pep Boys?

I would put the ford maf back on, disconnect battery for an hour and see if the idle goes back to normal.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Dang, Don't have the one he took off. Took it off, bought new one @ pep boys and left it with them because it was a core item?

Thats too bad. has to be that since it started after installing it. Either that or something not assembled correctly during replacement.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
This is first time using just answer... This convo/questions is considered being the one initial question, right? Only charged one time on my credit card?
So, what do you suggest I do now? Can't really afford much more parts/labor...Thank You for your time/info Kenny

Your in a tight spot, not sure what to tell you. Either see if the parts store will take it back and give you the core, or purchase a ford sensor. The final billing will be completed with a positive rating using the stars.

Kenny Z.
Kenny Z., Lincoln Technician
Kenny Z.
Kenny Z.
Kenny Z., Lincoln Technician