Lincoln

Lincoln Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

2002 f150 5.4 engine thought fuel pump was gone so I

replaced it. fuel pump squirt...
2002 f150 5.4 engine thought fuel pump was gone so I replaced it. fuel pump squirt when first come on but does not pump while cranking.
2/14/2018
Ronnie
Ronnie, ASE Certified Technician

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I am happy to assist you today. Give me just a moment to review your post, and I'll be right back with the help you need.

If you take a 12 volt test light and or a voltmeter and go to the inertia switch and check for power into the switch on the green/yellow wire and out of the switch on the pink black wire while cranking the engine over, what do you have?

Where is it located
I located it

The inertia switch is located in the passenger side kick panel just below the glove box. Pull the kick panel off and you will see it.

It only flash once in on position and nothing while cranking just like fuel pump

Did you check it while cranking the engine?

That's both wires
I get nothing while cranking

Okay, the fuel pump gets it power from the Fuel pump relay and the relay is controlled by the ground switch signal from the PCM (computer) . The next step is to check and see if you have power at the relay on pins 86 and 30 with the key on and a good ground at pin 85 while cranking the engine over. See the wiring diagram in the link below for testing reference. You will need to check the ground at the relay while cranking the engine over. The relay is located in the under hood panel.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9593u2d2cruc2sx/fuel%20pump%20F%20150%20Feb%2014.pdf?dl=0

See the relay location in this link.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8c6uvfttpn0fqyk/Relau%20location%20Feb%2014.pdf?dl=0

I got fire at both wires while cranking

Is that at the inertia switch or the relay?

at the relay with a good ground on 85

Okay if both wires have power at the relay and the relay is getting a good ground then you should have battery voltage out of the relay on pin 87 which is the green/yellow wire to the inertia switch. Do you now have cranking power out of the relay on the green/yellow wire?

Its doing the same thing the fuel pump and the inertia switch is doing

Okay if you are sure you have a good ground from the PCM while cranking and power on both power pins then you likely have a bad relay, try swapping the relay out and see if the power holds.

Did you come up with anything

Did you verify that you have a good ground at the relay while cranking and if so are you getting power out of the relay on the green/yellow to the inertia switch?

in

Okay if you have power out of the relay on the green/yellow wire then you should also have it at the inertia switch while cranking. Are you sure you do not?

It only flashes on at first and nothing while cranking

Okay if is not flashing coming out of the relay then that would have to be a connection problem, why don't you try overlaying a new wire from the relay to the inertia switch and see if the voltage will then hold at the relay.

The relay and the inertia switch are flashing the same way and the fuel pump also it squirt gas initially and then nothing

Okay, I thought you said you had good power out of the relay. If the relay is flashing then try running a temp ground to pin 85 and see if the pump will then run with the key on?

I did and the same result

Okay are you sure the relay is okay if it has constant power on both power pins and a constant ground it should energize and stay energized and feed power to the inertia switch

It doesnt have constant power it only flashes on briefly and then no power

You told me it did , dose power feeds flash?

I thought I told you everything was acting the same. I only get flash power then nothing

Okay can you check both power feeds and see if both are flashing?

Everything come on and goes off. I know the one coming from the relay flashes and then no power but I need to check again whether the main feed stays on I had to leave for a while I'll contact you in a few

Please do, check both powers feeds at the relay and see if either one of them is dropping out so we can narrow this down.

It must have been the ground. All of a certain it started working properly

A bad ground at the relay would sure do it. Hopefully, it holds and your okay. Moving things around during the testing may have cleared the connection as well.

Ronnie
Ronnie, ASE Certified Technician
thank you for being patient with me

Your very welcome and thank you as well.

Fuel pump working but it want crank unless I spray with starter fluid

Install a pressure guage and read the pressure, you need 32 to 45 PSI.

I did and it registers about 38 psi

If you have 38 PSI at the injector rail and injector pulse it should start. Do you have injector pulse?

I have no injector pulses

Do you have key on power on the Red power supply wire at the injectors?

Okay, the fuel injectors are controlled by the ground switching signal from the PCM (computer) and in most cases, if you have power to the injector and no ground switching signal that usually means the PCM has failed.

Thanks

You're very welcome.

Hey is it possible that the key has lost his signal because the anti theft light keep flashing and it tries to crank when I check the injector a test light
With a test light

Yes if the Pats system is not reading the key it can shut the injectors down. Have you scanned the system to see if there are any fault codes set?

No i havent ill go rent a scan tool

That would be a good idea if the Theft system has an issue it should set a code. Let me know.