Lincoln

Lincoln Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I have a 2014 Lincoln MKZ and some how the CD player will…

Hi, I have a...

Hi, I have a 2014 Lincoln MKZ and some how the CD player will not eject the CD. I have followed other DIY sites and now I have 2 CD's stuck in the slot. Can you help me?

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the fuse?

I have looked at the fuse box. Very hard to get to. Is that the best way, is to disconnect the fuse?

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your MKZ yourself? What have you tried so far?

I have tried some of the on-line suggestions of taking a plastic knife and wrapping it with duct tape and trying to gently get the tape to stick to the CD and pull it out. I have tried to use a second CD and that got stuck too. And when I poke around with some wooden skewers I can get the CD player to say "reading disc" but then it goes back to "no disc" symbol.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I don't think so. I'm concerned that I don't damage the player. Not so worried about replacing the CD's and interested if there is a DIY fix.

1/21/2018
Gabriel Grey
Gabriel Grey, ASE Certified Technician

Good evening, I hope you are doing great. My name is***** am a Ford and Lincoln technician, I would be happy to answer this for you.

It sounds you have attempted most of the basics already, so the last option I would use is a wire and a small pair of jewelry pliers. If you bend the wire you can hook the bottom of the disc and then use the pliers to slip it out.

If that does not work then it will most likely have to have the radio removed and disassembled, this is a problem we see on these models quite often

Thank you for your excellent advice. Is there any easier way to get the fuse box and which one should I pull out?

You will not have to pull out the fuse box, only the radio. But if we pull the radio fuse that will reset the radio that will possibly make it eject upon the next power up, give me just a moment to check the schematic and see which fuse it is that we need to pull

Gabriel Grey
Gabriel Grey, ASE Certified Technician
Phone call session started

Alright here is the fusebox diagram, you will want to remove fuse # F33, leave it out for about ten minutes and then reinstall it and turn the ignition on, hopefully that will cause it to reset and eject, if not then we will need to take the cd changer out

.

I am Kay's husband. I have removed and replaced car radios in the past. This seems unfixable. Your suggestion on removing a fuse doesn't seem doable. Every other car I have had has a fuse box under the hood or behind a door or kick panel. Yesterday it took me a half hour to find the Lincoln fuse panel and I can only see it by laying on my back and looking up into the dash board. I can't see the fuse numbers let alone replace them. It seems to me the fuse panel is not accessible. Is there an easier way to do this?

Hello sir, if you look at the diagram that I attached above you will be able to reference the picture and find the proper fuse. You will need some good pliers to get it out as they are small and packed in pretty tight. If you do not want to crawl up under there you can also just disconnect the battery for ten minutes to perform a hard reset.

It is not common that a reset will fix it, but it is worth a shot before having to remove/replace the radio

We will give these two options a try and get back to you shortly.

Okay sounds good

I am sorry. I guess I am not making myself clear. We have the manual. It said there were two fuse boxes. One was under the hood and easy to access but that's not the one with the radio fuse. It took me a half hour to find the other one. When I stick my head under the dash board resting on the brake pedal I can see the bottom part of the fuse panel. I can't see any fuse numbers let alone attempt to take any out. I have had a dozen cars and they have all had easy to access fuse panels. How to you suggest I get to this one? I can't even see most of it let alone read a tiny number on it or take out a fuse.
far I haven't received any help. I have had this problem before on other cars. The first thing you do when working on anything electric on a car is to remove the fuse. I can't do that. You gave me the fuse number but I already got that from the manual. You haven't helped me get the fuse out. I have already tried poking with wooden picks. I can get them into the slot but nothing happens. I don't know if the disc is above the slot or below it. Most radios have four holes in the faceplate allowing you to slide out the whole unit and remove a disc. This radio has no holes or visible screws to do so.
It has been a half hour since I have heard from you. You haven't replied to either of my posts. You haven't called me. You haven't given me any information I couldn't have gotten from the manual. So far I would rate this unacceptable help and intend to ask for a refund. Are you even on line?

These radios are not like most and they are in a sealed unit, that is why it has to be taken out and disassembled to gain access, most of the time they are replaced. I am trying to help but so far everything I have said needs to be done you have given me a reason why you cannot do it, and we cannot figure it out if the basic steps are not taken. I know you say you have worked on cars in the past, but alot of these newer models have become a lot harder for a do it yourself-er to complete, and certain jobs are recommended to be taken to the dealership where they are trained and familiar with the system.

If you are unable to reset the battery, or remove the fuse by yourself than it may be best to take it to the dealer to prevent any damage

If you are not able to complete any of the tasks I have provided you with and are going to ask for a refund please let me know and I will stop now and process that before we waste any more of either of our time

I specifically asked you how to get access to the fuse panel. I cannot see most of it from under the dashboard let alone find a fuse or pull it. If you are a real Lincoln mechanic what methods do you use to gain visual access to the fuse panel? Does it drop down or pull out?
I don't even know if the disc gets pulled down into the unit or pulled up into it, which would help if I were fishing for the discs.
Are you still there?