Lincoln

Lincoln Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Lincoln

1998 town car 4.6. has codes u1123 and u1041 missing signal…

1998 town car 4.6...

1998 town car 4.6. has codes u1123 and u1041 missing signal for odometer and speed signal. all computers communicate and ive replaced cluster, abs module and even though i can see a speed signal on my scanner form the vss on tranny i replaced the vss also. the odometer just has slashes and the speedometer doesnt move. has digital odometer and anolog speedo

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the brake fluid? And have the brakes been squeaking?

Yes fluid is fine and no sqealing

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Town Car yourself? What have you tried so far?

Did you read my questioN/

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No that should do it

Answered in 1 hour by:
1/17/2018
Chris (aka- Moose), Technician

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka-Moose).

• WORK TIME, I am here 7 days a week but not all hours of the day, do not worry I will respond.
  • FEES, I am a user of the website like you, not an employee. Any fee or account questions need to be addressed to the website.
  • PHONE CALLS are automatically offered by the website. I or another may take the call if you request one.
  • UPLOADED LINKS, if I upload dropbox links, without the phone app use the box on the top right for direct download.
  • RATING ANSWERS, please let me know what you need from me so you are pleased with my answer.

The codes indicate to run a self-test on the instrument cluster to see if there are stored codes.

The speed signal comes from the ABS module on this vehicle. Using your scan tool does the ABS module and the PCM show a speed signal?

I believe it is going to come down to the instrument cluster with the current info.

Now that I have posted a partial or complete answer, you will see you can rate me. The deposit you have already paid is not transferred to me until you rate me. I would like to receive nothing less than 5-star excellent ratings. So if we are not there yet, please reply and let me help more. If you're not pleased, let me know because rating bad does not result in a refund, there are better options. Rating now will not close this post nor prevent replying. Thanks Chris

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
we already replaced the cluster and still have the slashes instead of odometer and the speedo still reads zero as we drive. does the speedometer get signal from abs module or pcm?

Autocorrect somehow got me here. I believe it is going to come down to the instrument cluster with the current info.

That was supposed to be the PCM to blame. I was cutting and pasting in my text and goofed up.

The ABS produces the signal, sends it to the PCM, then form the PCM to the cluster.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
does this mean the abs module gets the speed signal from the wheel speed sensors intead of the speed sensor on the tranny?

That is what the repair guides show on this model. The signal comes from the ABS module.

Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Chris (aka- Moose), Technician