Lincoln

Lincoln Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

My liftgate on my 2006 navigator wont close. it clicks and…

My liftgate on my...

My liftgate on my 2006 navigator wont close . it clicks and clicks but wont latch . so im driving it with the lift gate open and the sound of it trying to latch

Mechanic's Assistant: Where exactly do you think the noise is coming from? And how long has this been going on?

Its been doing this for about a week . the sound is coming from the latch itself .

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Navigator yourself? What have you tried so far?

I havent really tried anything . other then tyring to figure out why its not latching . its killed mu battery a few times . just replaced it .

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Thats everything .

1/17/2018
Jared D
Jared D, ASE Certified Technician

Good morning,

It sounds like the cinch motor in the latch is bad. This motor pulls the door down the last half inch or so and secures it closed. It could also be the sensor that tells the cinch motor to start working, but either way they are both part of the latch assembly and the whole thing has to be replaced as one part. They go bad often.

Do you plan to fix it yourself?

I'm going to fix it myself . is this the cause of the draining of my battery ?

It definitely could be draining the battery. If the cinch motor isn't working it will sit there and try over and over until the battery dies. It can also leave the interior lights on.

This is how you remove the latch itself:

Here is how you remove the lift gate panel:

I'm going to try it as soon as I get the part . can I take the fuse out for now to stop the clicking sound and the draining of the battery ?
Or will that affect more then the liftgate?

It's not going to pull closed correctly without replacing it. Your best bet to keep the battery from dying would be to remove the battery cable at night. It's a pain, but otherwise you might have to pull the liftgate motor fuse and the interior light fuse.

You could pull the panel and unplug the latch connector. That would isolate just the latch. If the interior lights stay on you might still have a battery drain though.

Okay .. Silly question . where would I find the fuse for the lifgate and interior light fuse . sorry I don't have a manual.

Sorry for the delay. It looks like fuse F2.5 and F2.105 both supply power to the lift gate control module.

They are both under the dash.

Its okay . I just unhooked the little box on the right hand side in the back over the wheel well were the clicking was coming from. Hope that helps the battery life . the clicking stopped.
Thank you
Is that what needs to be replaced ? The little box that the clicking was coming from in the back over the rightvwheel well . I'm not sure what its called . i can take it out and see if I can get the part shipped in .

No, that's probably just the relay that controls the latch cinch motor. The part that is acting up is likely the latch on the liftgate it self.

Oh okay

Thank you for your question. Please let me know if you need additional info.

Jared D
Jared D, ASE Certified Technician
Jared D
Jared D
Jared D, ASE Certified Technician