Lincoln

Lincoln Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

My '05 Lincoln LS heater keeps heating regardless of how low…

My '05 Lincoln LS...

My '05 Lincoln LS heater keeps heating regardless of how low we set the temp we set. So hot inside we need to open windows when it's freezing outside

Mechanic's Assistant: Is this your first time dealing with this issue?

Yes

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your LS yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes and nothing :) trying to find where to start

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

It's 2005 LS V8. That's it

Answered in 1 hour by:
1/16/2018
Gabriel Grey
Gabriel Grey, ASE Certified Technician

Good afternoon, I hope you are doing great. My name is***** am a Ford/Lincoln technician and I would be happy to assist you with this.

It sounds like we are having a blend door issue that is causing the door to stay in the full hot position, this is a pretty common issue, and is usually the result of a faulty blend door actuator. Do you hear any noises when you try adjusting the temperature controls?

I will do some checking tonight.

Okay great, let me know if you find anything

It's freezing here now right now so once I ran the car so it was warm, I set the system to auto and adjusted the temp up and down and I could hear the door moving. I pulled the center dash vent out and I could see the door deep in there opening and closing. It seems that moving. What else could it be? It gets so hot in the cabin that we need to open the windows.

When the car heats up is it when you have the heater/blower turned on? Or is it constant?

The heating system is ON, the fan won't run with it system OFF. We turn the fan down to it's lowest setting to make it more bearable, we still have to open the windows to cool off a bit. The engine is not overheating, it's at normal temp.
Is there a temp sensor that would tell the system to adjust the blend door?

Okay I see, it sounds like it is the AUTO system that is messing with things. There is a temperature sensor on the evaporator housing, as well as an ambient temperature sensor under the hood. If either of those develops an issue it can cause problems with the AUTO settings

Is there a way to test each of them or is it a swap out and test thing?

You can perform a resistance test on each one to see if they have continuity. The ambient temp sensor is mounted in the front grille, the evaporator sensor is harder to get to as it attaches to the evaporator housing

I ran the DATC self test and came back with 2797 and 2799.

Okay great. DTC 2797 is indicative of the Driver Coolant Control Valve having an Open Circuit. If the coolant control valve is stuck open it will provide constant heat to the blower system, so that very well could be our issue

Soooo, maybe give a gentle "whack" to try to get it working for now :) then plan on swapping it?

Heheh yes that would be a great place to start :)

Gabriel Grey
Gabriel Grey, ASE Certified Technician
I'm waiting for the dual control valve to come in to install it. It should be here tomorrow.

Okay great, let me know when you get it

I changed the dual control valve and it didn't solve it. Still gets hot in the cabin. I still have the 2799 2797 errors, I tried the reset so it's either not resetting or the error remains. Any ideas now?
I found a climate system diagnostic and it gave me tests to try, I found there was no power at the control valve. I downloaded a service manual with schematics to find out what powers the valve, Fuse 1 in the AJB fuse box was blown. I changed it an it's all good now. Not sure if the valve went and blew the fuse or the fuse just blew and the valve is good, I'm not putting the old one back in. This is solved.
Gabriel Grey
Gabriel Grey
Gabriel Grey, ASE Certified Technician