Lincoln

Lincoln Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

2006 with only 64,000 miles.....just started cutting off at…

Customer Question
2006 with only 64,000...

2006 with only 64,000 miles.....just started cutting off at stop signs. no message

Mechanic's Assistant: Will the headlights turn on? Is the battery fully charged?

I'll have to check ....it did cut off last night and just hard steered over to the side of the road and cranked it back up

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '06 Lincoln?

Used headlights this morning and I think all was fine with those.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

Mkx

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Just that this is scary to just stop and not have much control over steering

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Lincoln
1/15/2018
Lincoln Mechanic: Michael, Ford Senior Master Technician replied 7 months ago
Michael
Michael, Ford Senior Master Technician

My name is***** will be assisting you today. Do you have your VIN available? If so, please send it to me. Your MKX is cutting off at stop signs. Does this occur every time you come to a stop? When this occurs does it start back up normally?

at work and can't get to vehicle for 8 hours. no....not every time I stop....and I don't have to stop...just slow down......yes, it starts right back up

Before the engine cuts off, or after restart, do you have any warning indicators? A check engine light or a symbol that looks like a wrench turned on the instrument cluster? Have you had any work or maintenance performed recently?

You stated it's a 2006 MKX. Did you mean 2016? The MKX was not made in 2006.

no maintenance done recently, close to needing an oil change, no other warning lights AFTER I crank it up and no messages.....both those lights you mentioned come on but it's because the ignition is on and the motor is off.....not on when running
sorry MKZ

Thank you. Give me a moment to research this.

2007

Have you had your battery replaced at anytime in the last six months

no
can I give you the VIN # tomorrow?

Absolutely, just send it to me here as soon as you are able. Thank you.

am I getting any other answers today? I haven't seen an answer...just questions? I'm confused

My questions help me understand your issue better. When the engine stalls the check engine light should come on. The wrench light only comes on when a fault is sensed in the electronic throttle control. With you seeing the wrench light I suspect you have a throttle body problem. This is common in the 2007 MKZ. With the problem only happening when you are slowing down there are two possibilities. One is your throttle body has excessive carbon build up. You can have someone remove the intake hose between the air filter and throttle body. Then clean the carbon from the throttle blade with a tooth brush and carb. cleaner. If that doesn't fix it you'll need to replace the throttle body. The first thing I'd do is have the codes checked. If you don't have access to a scan tool most advance auto parts and autozone stores will check codes for free. If you have no codes stored in the engine computer or either code P0505/P0506. I'd clean the throttle body and see if the issue goes away. If it does not clear up, then replacement of the throttle body would be necessary. If you get a code different than one I listed let me know and I can give you further direction.

no worries....I have a friend that can check my codes tomorrow...i'll be in touch.

Thank you.

I'm in Hawaii ...how late can I email you the VIN number?.....to get an answer back today>
I'm in Virginia. I will be online until 10pm eastern time. Another six hours.

Just checking in. Were you able to get your VIN and have your codes checked?