Lincoln

Lincoln Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

2001 Lincoln Town Car Presidential Series...cars running no…

2001 Lincoln Town Car...

2001 Lincoln Town Car Presidential Series...cars running no problems. The Battery is old so decide to Change for new battery. Did so, all went well, until we tried to start car. Alarm has shut down car from starting? The must be a reset?

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you changed a battery before?

No

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Town Car yourself? What have you tried so far?

I was just changing the battery. I matched it, changed it, but the car won't start. Computer confused?

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I guess not...

The battery was disconnected for over a half hour.
The mileage is 99438 on a 2001.
anyway, the car sat for three and a half months. But with a short charge was able to start.
We can't shut off the alarm, which has disabled the start.
The alarm is not sounding, just preventing our startup
Can I pull a fuse to kill the alarm altogether?
Is there a reteach the computer procedure to go through?
1/15/2018
Gabriel Grey
Gabriel Grey, ASE Certified Technician

Good afternoon, I hope you are doing great. My name is***** am a Ford/Lincoln master technician and I would be happy to assist you with this today.

So unfortunately what you are experiencing has become a pretty common issue on some of these older models. The theft parameters get lost when the battery is disconnected and then the BCM does not recognize the key on start-up. That is why they recommend we use power savers now when replacing batteries.

I would recommend disconnecting the battery for 10mins and touching the cables together, this will reset the system and reboot the modules, I have had luck a few times doing this. If it still will not start then it is going to need to be reprogrammed using a Ford scan tool

I haven't applied your advise yet, but I will and will respond as well. I hope it works. (1/16/18) REBII

Okay sounds good! Let me know if you have any further questions :)

Wow! Sentry Luc
Wow! Sentry Lincoln Mercury in Medford, Charges up to $2600.00 to reprogram by Scan Tool. So a simple thing like changing your battery in your driveway can create a $2600.00 problem?
Oh, touching the two dead cables together after disconnecting the battery for ten minutes, did little to help. Still stuck!

Whoa, $2600? That is ridiculous. It should be no more than a 1.5hr charge to reprogram the system, it sounds like they got something mixed up or they were trying to discourage you from bringing it in. That is an outrageous quote.

If you call around to some local locksmiths they may be able to help, we have a few here who are now equipped to deal with mobile/automotive security issues

Gabriel Grey
Gabriel Grey, ASE Certified Technician
what happens now? I paid $24.00 in good faith yet was not delivered a working answer.
Call around to local locksmiths! If a Lincoln Mercuryadter Mechanic can't figure out, how can I trust a rogue locksmith!
A Lincoln Mercury Master Mechanic, I meant.
I'll look here later to see if you got anything else? Right now I've paid to referred to someone in a completely different business. What a racket!

I do not see how you think this is a racket, I explained in my very first message that if the reset procedure did not reset the theft parameters that the vehicle would need to be reset by a scan tool that the dealer will have. You have not taken it to the dealer yet have you? I do not see how that was incorrect info if you have not even tried it yet.

A rogue locksmith will still be certified and have the tools needed to do the job, I have used them many times.

At this point I do not know what else to say, if you do not want to try a locksmith then it will need to be towed to the dealership

I'm just angry about the situation, my apologies to you Sur, I'm sorry. I'm gonna try to get a dealership to let me tow it there, and take it from there. Sorry again for my wisea_s comments.
39;Sir' that is...