Lincoln

Lincoln Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

1999 Lincoln Nav. 5.4 Intech. Wired starter relay

Customer Question
1999 Lincoln Nav. 5.4...

1999 Lincoln Nav. 5.4 Intech. Wired starter relay incorrectly by putting the fat red wire onto the top output terminal. Car started once. Now won’t start. Checked fusible links, cabin fuses and under hood fuse box. All good. No power at the fat red wire that goes to the starter relay. Looked for the infamous mega fuse. The only box near the battery is a metal box to the engine side of the starter relay. It has two fat gray connectors that are bolted together and a smaller black connector. All have multiple wires, but none large diameter. There are no other boxes. The battery pos. cables dive down toward the starter and not to the top of the firewall or the fender. Am I looking in the wrong place or is mine the only Nav without mega fuses?

Mechanic's Assistant: Is the power loss consistent, or does it fluctuate?

Battery input cable to the relay is dead. Zero voltage.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '99 Lincoln?

Navigator

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Navigator yourself? What have you tried so far?

I am. Tested fusible links, checked cabin and engine compartment fuses. All good. Did screwdriver short between starter relay terminals. Nothing.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Think that covers it v

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Lincoln
1/15/2018
Lincoln Mechanic: Amedee, Lincoln Technician replied 7 months ago
Amedee
Amedee, Lincoln Technician

Hello and welcome!

Thank you for your question. My name isCustomerand I will be happy to assist you today. I am reviewing the details now.

Are you looking for some possible causes or would you like me to walk you through this diagnoses?

Would you be willing to speak on the phone?

Would be happy to speak on the phone. My own diagnostics have it narrowed down to mega fuse, which I can’t find. Perhaps it doesn’t exist and my diagnosis is incorrect. How do we talk by phone?

You can request a phone call on your end and I will call you right away.

B4 doing that, can you tell me where to locate the mega fuses? My original post explains that they are not where they should be and what I did find at that location.

Sure please allow a few minutes

The fusible links A and B that power up the starter relay/solenoid are located right on or near the battery.

Ok. Fusible links are okay. Will request a call in about an hour.

Here is the phone call offer. You can accept my offer now and call me when your ready

Lincoln Mechanic: Amedee, Lincoln Technician replied 6 months ago

Hello there!

I am just checking in to see how things are going and to see if you need any further assistance?

If so, please let me know as I will be happy to help.

Best Regards,

Customer/p>