Lincoln

Lincoln Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

My 2000 5.4 Navigator has coolant in the oil. Last time it…

Customer Question
My 2000 5.4 Navigator...

My 2000 5.4 Navigator has coolant in the oil. Last time it was the heater hose that failed. Changed that. Most articles say it is a blown head gasket, others say it could be a Intake manifold failure. Truck has 180,000 miles on it. A/C has not run in 3 years. Just a beater that I use 20-30 miles a month. How would I check that it is the intake vs the head gasket. One fairly simple the other more complex.

Mechanic's Assistant: Is this your first time dealing with this issue? What size is your engine?

5.4

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Navigator yourself? What have you tried so far?

Probably. I have just checked the oil and coolant as I do every week and discovered the Milkshake Oil and coolant reservoir empty. Last time it was the heater hose that runs between the cylinder banks that failed.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Lincoln
1/12/2018
Lincoln Mechanic: David Craig, Auto Mechanic replied 4 months ago
David Craig
David Craig, Auto Mechanic

Hi my name is ***** ***** I'll be more than happy to assist you, Please allow me a few minutes to review your information. Thank you.

white smoke out the tailpipe? overheating? running bad?

It starts like a top, Had a couple of vacuum elbows that failed, replaced those. No overheating, new Rad 10,000 miles ago. Haven't driven the vehicle since the contamination discovered. But does not billow white smoke as blown Head gaskets do.

ok, just to make sure its definitely not the head gasket have a block test done

One test I have read but not tried is to run the engine with the Coolant reservoir top off and fill the reservoir, if it spews out the top it is the Head Gasket if it flows it is the Intake gasket.

not reliable

a block test is the most reliable test you can do

Block test kit 40-50 bucks.

yes. but would you rather know for sure or not

The Block test determines if it is the Head Gasket and not the Intake gasket, correct.

correct

Thank you.

you're welcome and Please note that customer satisfaction is my number one goal and rating this chat session 3 or more stars will be greatly appreciated and will allow any follow-up questions you may have. we can chat back and forth many times until your issue is taken care of.
Thank you for rating my assistance and for using Just Answer.

Lincoln Mechanic: David Craig, Auto Mechanic replied 3 months ago

excuse me but why did you request a refund?

David Craig
David Craig
David Craig, Auto Mechanic