Lincoln

Lincoln Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

My driver side airbag lights stays on and even sometimes…

Customer Question
My driver side airbag...

My driver side airbag lights stays on and even sometimes blinks when I’m driving. Also, my car door ajar light stays on.

Mechanic's Assistant: Is anything interfering with the seatbelt latch?

What you mean?

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Lincoln?

It’s a 2002 Lincoln LS

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your LS yourself? What have you tried so far?

No I’m not. I’m having a friend mechanic fix it. Hasn’t touched the car yet. Supposed to next week. Also, when I had Advance auto test the battery they said it was a little low charge but that the alternator tested fine, but then when they scanned for codes it showed the alternator being faulty. So that’s confusing.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Nothing else I can think of at the moment.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Lincoln
1/12/2018
Lincoln Mechanic: Steve, Automotive Expert replied 4 months ago
Steve
Steve, Automotive Expert

hi - how can I help you with this? did you want to know possible causes?

how to fix it.

Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you

the door ajar light is due to a faulty door latch switch - replacement is required

The airbag light comes on to signal that there is a fault within the restraint system. This light is not specific to any one thing, it is only intended to inform the driver that a fault is present.

This light can come on for many, many reasons such as a failed airbag, a failed seatbelt tensioner, a failed seat occupancy sensor, a failed restraint system module, etc. Or, if you removed the steering wheel or unhooked seat wiring with the car’s battery still hooked up, this can also trigger the light.

As there are multiple reasons this light can come on, the only way to determine why it is on is to have the computer fault memory read from the vehicle using a compatible scan tool. Once the fault memory is read, this will indicate the exact underlying failure that is causing the light to come on. Once you know why the light is on, you can replace the failed component and the light can be switched off.

The light cannot be turned off until the fault memory is read and the failed component identified and replaced. Even once the issue is repaired or goes away, the light will still require resetting with a compatible scan tool.

I am sorry I cannot have a more specific answer for you, but this is the reality of the situation and is a complete and accurate and truthful answer to your question. I do hope that my honesty and quick response is appreciated.

Best wishes to you with your repairs.

Please let me know if you have further questions. Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you

Steve
Steve
Steve, Automotive Expert