Lincoln

Lincoln Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

My 2003 aviator awd acts like inall the time. The front axle…

Customer Question
My 2003 aviator awd...

My 2003 aviator awd acts like in*****all the time. The front axle assembly is locked each front wheel does not wheel independently. . The car tightens up and make loud clunking noises on turns. As car gets warmer the clunking gets more prevalent in all operations. You can reduce the level for a very short time by backing and then going forward. Could this be the front differencial .

Mechanic's Assistant: Where exactly do you think the noise is coming from? And how long has this been going on?

Ive had a mechanic friend of mine listen and look .He heard it loudest on the passenger side. We did it with turning the wheels driving forward and back. In backing and turning the wheels. The wheels locked. The problem was there when I bought the car a month ago but has been getting progressively worse

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Aviator yourself? What have you tried so far?

I would like to try to, but if beyond my means i will take it to a shop.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No I don't plan on rebuilding units, new buy rebuilt or good used parts to fix the car

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Lincoln
1/4/2018
Lincoln Mechanic: CTLincolnTech, ASE Certified Technician replied 3 months ago
CTLincolnTech
CTLincolnTech, ASE Certified Technician
Hello and Thank you for choosing Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be the expert assisting you today.
The problem is more than likely due to a faulty coupling inside the transfer case. When this coupling goes bad it locks the vehicle in 4x4 all of the time. One quick test that can be done is if you remove the front driveshaft and drive the vehicle and the problem goes away, you verified the transfer case is bad.
CTLincolnTech
CTLincolnTech
CTLincolnTech, ASE Certified Technician