Lincoln

Lincoln Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Had a dealer tell me I need part # DY5Z19980H to repair my…

Customer Question
Had a dealer tell me...
Had a dealer tell me I need part # DY5Z19980H to repair my heated seats. Front Control Interface Module. I am also being told this is an Audio Component. I cannot find anything on the internet about this part number and FCIM brings up several parts. I need to know just exactly what this part is and what it does. My car was hit from behind and the heated seats quit working. Everyone says that this could not be accident/collision related but they worked before the accident and did not work after the accident. I need to know everything about this part. What it operates, where it is located, what kind of force (impact) can it withstand.
Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Lincoln
The Car is a 2013 MKZ Hybrid
1/3/2018
Lincoln Mechanic: A. Penland, Ford Senior Master Technician, ASE replied 3 months ago
A. Penland
A. Penland, Ford Senior Master Technician, ASE

Can you give me the VIN# ***** I can check it on Fords database?

3ln6l2lu4dr822488
I am told that this is the module that is located just below the touch screen but above the power outlet. where the touch panel buttons are. This module is just on the immediate back side of the touch panel.

DP5Z-19980-P is the updated part number. The base part number #19980 is for the HVAC module. But since you MKZ is a Hybrid, the HVAC module is part of the FCIM.

See the link below.

Without knowing what trouble codes or diagnosis steps they did to get to that being the cause of the heated seats being inop, it is hard to say.

My main issue is that the seats are not working after my care being involved in an accident. I have noticed that all these parts have a sticker on them that says "Scrap if Dropped" So just how much force can this module take?

It depends on the impact the vehicle took and the severity. When Ford states with a decal "Scrap If Dropped", means if you drop the module onto concrete or a hard surface from a standing position. And if it was damaged by the accident, it will need to be proven to the insurance company that it was damaged in the accident.

There was no direct damage to that area of the car. It was a rear end collision. it was a borderline below totaled. they had to cut the rear of the car off and replace it. it knocked the car forward 3 feet. I was stopped with my foot on the brake and still knocked me forward 3 feet. They claim it is just coincidence but I believe it is a result of the accident. it worked before and not after. I have to build my argument to take insurance company to court if they continue to refuse to pay for replacement. I need to get the G-Force specs for this part. Then I can do the math to figure out the G-Force of the impact of the accident.

OUCH!!!!!

I would get a second opinion. If they did any welding on the vehicle, and the modules or battery were still connected, they could have damaged modules. Also, there may be issues with wiring inside the vehicle. I think guessing at the HVAC or FCIM is just that, a guess.

The seats were not working before it went to body shop. I tried to use the heated seats about 1 hour after accident and they were not working. car is all repaired now and dealer says this needs to be replaced but insurance company says no pay for it because not accident related. I need to prove that it is or at least could have been caused by the accident.

They will need to prove it to the insurance company. With Trouble Codes and pin point test detailed from the mechanic who did the testing.

Insurance companies are big on getting your money for the coverage and they try any way possible to get out of paying a claim. I lived in Florida for 37 years and finally moved to Alabama in October 2017.

Even aftermarket vehicle warranty companies are just as bad.

All the dealer says is that the Module is bad.

Then they need to prove it to the insurance company.

No, I do. The dealer does not care. The dealer is not responsible. The dealer determined that the module was bad and that was why my seats did not work. Now I need to prove to the insurance company that it is a result of the accident. To do that I need to present an argument to show that it is possible to damage this module in this manner. That is why I need to know the limits of force that the module can withstand. Well if the module cannot withstand a drop of from 30" off the ground then I can figure the force of the impact when it hits the ground if I know the mass of the module. How much does the little module weigh?

That is information only Ford Engineers have and they do not give that to us technicians.

what are the dimension H x W x L?

The only info I have is what I already posted.

ok, so does the module control the heated seats?

Yes, the switches are part of the module and the module controls the heated seats through the AC part of the module.

A. Penland
A. Penland