Lincoln

Lincoln Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Headlights randomly turn off while driving while in auto…

Customer Question
Headlights randomly turn off...

Headlights randomly turn off while driving while in auto mode. Turning it to the constant on position will make them come on for a few minutes then they turn off again. Scary at night. Randomly the car won’t start now, the battery tests good. This has been going on for a week. Does it sound like a bad sjb or something else? It is a 2010 MKS.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the fuses? Have you checked the bulbs?

Yes

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Lincoln?

2010 MKS

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your MKS yourself? What have you tried so far?

I haven’t tried anything so far. Also the interior lights randomly work also.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Lincoln
12/29/2017
Lincoln Mechanic: sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician replied 7 months ago
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer! I apologize for the extended wait time you experienced, I've only just come online now and would like to assist you with your question.

It's possible that the junction block could be the cause of the issue but that's not as likely if the lights both go out at the same time. The junction block controls each side with a separate driver. It will require some testing at the time the problem is happening to know for sure, but it's more likely that the switch is bad. The first thing that will need to be done is check for fault codes, if nothing related is stored then data will need to be looked at while the lights will not work to determine what direction testing will take.

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.