Lincoln

Lincoln Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Our 2004 Lincoln Navigator has dual climate control. The…

Customer Question
Hello Our 2004...

Hello Our 2004 Lincoln Navigator has dual climate control. The front blower motor is not working. The rear works fine. We have replaced the 40a fuse an the Blower Motor Relay as well as the Blower Motor Resistor, We also Replaced the blower motor and still will not turn on.

Mechanic's Assistant: How many miles are on the car? Has the car been starting normally?

145k yes

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Navigator yourself? What have you tried so far?

The front blower motor is not working. The rear works fine. We have replaced the 40a fuse an the Blower Motor Relay as well as the Blower Motor Resistor, We also Replaced the blower motor and still will not turn on.

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Lincoln
12/21/2017
Lincoln Mechanic: Chris (aka- Moose), Technician replied 6 months ago
Chris (aka- Moose), Technician

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka-Moose).

• WORK TIME, I am here 7 days a week but not all hours of the day, do not worry I will respond.
  • FEES, I am a user of the website like you, not an employee. Any fee or account questions need to be addressed to the website.
  • PHONE CALLS are automatically offered by the website. I or another may take the call if you request one.
  • UPLOADED LINKS, if I upload dropbox links, without the phone app use the box on the top right for direct download.
  • RATING ANSWERS, please let me know what you need from me so you are pleased with my answer.

To prevent me and you from further guessing. Do you have a voltmeter or test light so we can do some tests?

I have a test light.

Super, remove the front blower relay. key off test all pins to ground. Is one powered? That is pin 30. Key on and HVAC commanded on, is there another pin powered? That is pin 86. You may need to use a paper clip to get into the pins if your test light is not skinny enough.

Thank you, ***** ***** try that. I will not have access to the vehicle due to work until Saturday Morning. I will update you with my findings. Is there a second step after that to follow that i can report back on?

Sure, here is the wire diagram https://www.dropbox.com/s/9o468hwp50mjy54/HVAC04nav.pdf?dl=0

We are doing tests to see if the relay is getting commanded, is it good and is the blower getting power. If the blower is getting power and no ground then we will diagnose the HVAC control and blower resistor and its ground. The next test if the first 2 pass will be to confirm good ground to relay pin 85 then install the relay and confirm power to the blower.

Now that I have posted a partial or complete answer, you will see you can rate me. The deposit you have already paid is not transferred to me until you rate me. I would like to receive nothing less than 5-star excellent ratings. So if we are not there yet, please reply and let me help more. If you're not pleased, let me know because rating bad does not result in a refund, there are better options. Rating now will not close this post nor prevent replying. Thanks Chris

Hello. I will be testing the relay tomorrow morning with the test light. I will report back with my findings

Super

Ignition off pin 30 is lit
Key on pin 85 and 30 is lit

Key on, climate control on, relay out. Does the relay click when installed and removed and when installed is there power to the blower connector?

Super, that means the ground is all we are missing.

Do you know how to test for ground using a test light?

No. Can u help me test for ground with test ligbt
I put the test light on positive battery and ready to test for ground

To use your meter to test for ground you need to clip it on power and then probe anything ground like a ground wire or bare metal on the chassis. So you can use a paperclip in the blower connector power wire and clip onto that.

Here is the wire diagram in continuation to the prior one. https://www.dropbox.com/s/o13y0zcyglrdffo/EATC2.pdf?dl=0

The blower speed controller is right next to the blower. Confirm the black wire to it is a good ground.

Is the blower speed controller the blower motor resistor ?
I have confirmed that the black wire for the blower resistor is giving me a good ground
The ground is good while keyed off if that matters any

Manual climate control uses a resistor, automatic uses a speed controller.

We are up to test 4 in this file https://www.dropbox.com/s/zmwjezq4vlftnq3/testS1.pdf?dl=0

We are up to needing a volt ohm meter now to test the inputs from the EATC to the blower speed controller. Most likely and normally the controller is to blame with the current results.

Blower speed controller.

That leaves doing the wire tests between the EATC and controller to see if there is a wire break and from the controller to the blower to see if there is a wire break. Signal is not getting from the EATC to the controller or no ground from the controller to the blower.

OK I will have to go and purchase an ohm tester Due to the holidays I don't believe I will be able to pick back up on this until Tuesday

That is not a problem, all those tests I sent if followed will resolve this. The post does not time out till the 28th

I will probably need further assistance with the ohm testing

Okay

I am heading to pick up a multimeter. What would you like me to test first

We have completed steps S1-2-3 so you need to start at step S4

9-10 off n on
We place the voltmeter on the resistor wire and slowly change the blower settings from one through six and we could see a visible change it appears the resister is working correctly