Lincoln

Lincoln Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I have a 2004 Lincoln town car The battery went dead after a…

Customer Question
I have a 2004...

I have a 2004 Lincoln town car The battery went dead after a few weeks in the garage.After giving the battery a full charge it will not start .We have checked by pulling the air intake and there is no spark. what do I check next When I turn the switch on I don't hear the gas pump start but the engine just spins over

Mechanic's Assistant: Did you test the battery with a voltmeter? And have you ever changed one before?

No the battery has a full charge as the motor turns over ok

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Town Car yourself? What have you tried so far?

Trying to fix myself before the battery being dead it worked perfectly

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Lincoln
12/19/2017
Lincoln Mechanic: Amedee, Lincoln Technician replied 4 months ago
Amedee
Amedee, Lincoln Technician

Hello and welcome!

My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with your question.

Your saying the engine cranks over but does not start?

Does the check engine light come on with the key in the on position?

Does it go off while cranking?

Have you checked for codes in the computer?

it says service engine soon yes it goes off while cranking dont know how to do codes

Sounds good no problem.

Would you be willing to speak on the phone?

not yet

Ok, no problem. We need to check for power to the ignition coil as out next step. You can use a test light or a voltmeter and check for power with the key on.

Let me know!

Can you text or e-mail me how to do that

Sure. Just turn the key on and take a voltage reading using your voltmeter or test light on the wires going to the ignition coil.

Chris (aka- Moose), Technician