Lincoln

Lincoln Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I was driving on the expressway, doing about 70mph.. when…

Customer Question
I was driving on...

I was driving on the expressway , doing about 70mph.. when passing a car, while accelerating hard, LOW OIL PRESSURE, came across the message board... while driving regularly, it did not come on. I purposely hit hard on the accelerator again, and the message come up again. However, the red oil light DID NOT come on...nor did it do it during normal accelerating, regardless of speed

Mechanic's Assistant: How old is your oil pump? Has the check engine light come on?

2003 Lincoln navigator...133000 miles...no check engine light

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Navigator yourself? What have you tried so far?

All that I had time to do at that moment was check the oil..it seemed to be about a qt and a half low. I topped it off. I didn't get a chance to follow up, as I was on my way to the repair shop for transmission repairs. My next move was to replace the sender

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

That was all

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Lincoln
12/15/2017
Lincoln Mechanic: Kalamykid, Shop Owner/ Tech replied 8 months ago
Kalamykid
Kalamykid, Shop Owner/ Tech

Are you sure it did not give you a low oil level message? If the oil level was low, under hard acceleration the oil level in the pan can shift to the back of the pan. This can cause either the low oil or low oil pressure light to come on. After you topped the oil level off, did you get the same message again after hard acceleration?

It was definitely the low oil pressure message.. unfortunately I didn't get a chance to check the results as I topped off right before I had reached my destination
I just found it strange that the light didn't come on along with it

With the oil level low, I do not believe that you have anything to worry about. Just keep an eye on the oil level and do not let it get low again.

You have to remember that this engine only holds 5 quarts of oil. 1 quart is in the oil filter, so that only leaves 4 quarts in the pan. If you are 1.5 quarts low, then there is only 2.5 quarts in the pan. Under hard acceleration, the pump can pull all of that up and push it through the engine in a blink of an eye, and if the oil does not have enough time to get back to the pan, the pump starts to pull air in. This air is what caused the low oil pressure to come on. The message center gives you a heads up the the pressure is dropping before it gets to a critical point.