Lincoln

Lincoln Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

My 2003 towncar has a problem. the doorlocks go on and off…

Customer Question
My 2003 towncar has...

My 2003 towncar has a problem. the doorlocks go on and off while driving, then the interior lights come on and some time go off, at night the alarm goes off by it self. the door ajar light comes on and off. The insides lights will come on when parked along with the alarm going off. After driving a while all seems to stop but comes back when ever it whats to. Have checked the battery and it is good. It is driving me crazy have any idea to help solve this probloem

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the vehicle's manual for this?

Yes and done some testing but no help

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '03 Lincoln?

Town car

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Town Car yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No need a place to start is it a short or bad module.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Lincoln
12/15/2017
Lincoln Mechanic: Jaybird61, ASE Certified Master Technician replied 8 months ago
Jaybird61
Jaybird61, ASE Certified Master Technician

Hi, my name is Jay

The problem is caused by one of the doors latch door ajar switches. In order to know the exact door causing problem you would need a dealer level scanner to monitor the data of the doors when problem is happening to see which switch is showing door open and closed. This will cause all the different problems you are having. The most common door to have a problem is the drivers door since it gets most use and wear. Check the latch on door and the striker in door opening on body side for wear and damage? Spray liberal amounts of WD40 in all latches and open and close doors several times between sprays to work the wd40 into latch switch to see if helps problem before going to get scanned.

If the wd40 works on drivers door then go ahead and do all the other doors.

If the wd40 on all doors do not work then you will need to have system scanned with dealer level scanner that will show all doors open or closed and this will identify the door that is causing problem and latch or ajar switch can then be replaced or repaired as needed. Sometimes just removing the ajar switch and cleaning it with wd40 or replacing it fixes problem.

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.