Lincoln

Lincoln Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

98 town car blend door actuator keeps turning counter

Customer Question
98 town car blend...

98 town car blend door actuator keeps turning counter clockwise, new ford actuator then re-built eatc. same code 24 & 81. Seller of eatc (California) said head unit is good. Rec door makes sweep then stops. blend keeps turning. have much more info.

Mechanic's Assistant: Just to clarify, what's the exact code? And have you tried to reset it?

24 & 81, reset thru head unit and connecting pos and neg terms together (not on bat of course) it did not care

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Town Car yourself? What have you tried so far?

Customer

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I can answer his questions

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Lincoln
12/15/2017
Lincoln Mechanic: Chris (aka- Moose), Technician replied 4 months ago
Chris (aka- Moose), Technician

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka-Moose).

• WORK TIME, I am here 7 days a week but not all hours of the day, do not worry I will respond.
  • FEES, I am a user of the website like you, not an employee. Any fee or account questions need to be addressed to the website.
  • PHONE CALLS are automatically offered by the website. I or another may take the call if you request one.
  • UPLOADED LINKS, if I upload dropbox links, without the phone app use the box on the top right for direct download.
  • RATING ANSWERS, please let me know what you need from me so you are pleased with my answer.

Are you asking for the Ford diag steps for those codes?

No I have the codes, 24 & 81. Full story. Customer 98 (11-1997) town car. Warm air, Blend door stem had been fix with a screw clamp three years ago. Now thought blend actuator, removed and door stem was twisted off. (will need new box) but I could see blend actuator turning counter clockwise. Got a dorman same thing. Got a motorcraft same thing. Then I noticed head unit EATC off, key on, blend actuator still turns counter clockwise. So EATC?. Customer got a rebuilt one from guy on ebay. Pluged in same thing. Checked wires on both blend and rec door for continuity and short to ground as they branch off to each other all ok, both power and ground is ok. un plugged rec door and blend keeps turning. Code 24 & 81 came back, cleared the codes after each test, they come right back. Just a guess blend has done a 360 turn around 8-10 times while doing tests. Can it get lost and never find its 60 and 90 swing? Sent EATC back to guy and he said it was ok but is going to send on from a 99 town car saying the internals were a little different??? 98 to 02 were suppose to be the same. It is not here yet to try. This is a filler car to work on in spare time. Does it sound like EATC or did I miss something? I would like to have a plan when the replacement EATC gets here. THX.

Are you doing these tests with the blend door actuator not mounted due to the door shaft twisted off?

Customer has bought another box and I have it but afraid blend actuator will break it to. The car is not disabled yet. I want to see everything work before I remove to dash. Customer is furnishing these parts as I do not buy parts on the net, just for this reason.

I cannot verify what the actuator will do while off since that is not a listed test to do. So it continues to spin should it do that or not I have no answer. If you want to test it will off you can put some resistance on the actuator and then see if it will adjust in increments and not keep spinning. I do know when you replace one it cycles to the max cold and max hot to realize its, location limits before it starts working right. If any diagrams or steps are needed, let me know. For now, I think we are stuck at needing the actuator mounted on a god box to finish testing.

Now that I have posted a partial or complete answer, you will see you can rate me. The deposit you have already paid is not transferred to me until you rate me. I would like to receive nothing less than 5-star excellent ratings. So if we are not there yet, please reply and let me help more. If you're not pleased, let me know because rating bad does not result in a refund, there are better options. Rating now will not close this post nor prevent replying. Thanks Chris

It does no increments just takes off steady, I tried holding the dorman one with pliers, It cannot be stopped!! that plastic door will not take that kind of pressure. I cannot take the chance on breaking a new box. Question should both actuators activate and find their home position every time the key is turned on even with the EATC in off mode? cause it does (the rec door) Or make one sweep and remember for the next key cycle?

I know they will move once started but I have no documentation to show you that they are finding home.

ok, It seems we are both confused why this problem is happening and we both know this is not a everyday issue. Trying this avenue of knowledge is my last resort. It has been ten years cense I had to use just answer for help! It seems you work for a dealership. If you could ask around or All dealerships are members of IATN, (I was many years ago) maybe it would be in their knowledge base or you could post a question to them? Somebody knows!. The correct solution is worth more than 22 dollars. As always the cost is passed on. This customer has six vehicles I'am not going to loose this account.
As I said before this is a filler car. I have time. I've had it over a month so far a few more weeks makes no difference.

Diagnosing the codes should address this concern and tell you if these actuators you are using, the wiring, or the EATC is faulty. I did research actuator spinning but that is where it came up with broken door shaft and not to test while not mounted.

We both know what is going to happen to the blend door if I energize the actuator. (300 dollar box ruined). Please ask around. Some day this problem may be in your bay. And we both know the service writer won't be able to talk your way out of it. The answer is out there, I'am to far outside the circle to find it. I really need your help!.

Do you need the steps for these codes to check the wiring, actuator, and EATC.

I will ask at work tomorrow to see if another has any input. Pretty sure they are going to agree with me on the EATC being to blame.

You have said twice do test while mounted. In my head it make no cense how a piece of plastic mounted to another piece of plastic knows where it is in order to work properly. Up , down, sideways, its a piece of plastic! The rec door is sideways. It has got to be the EATC. The only other things in the loop is ambient, in car temp, sun load sensors. truthfully not real knowledgeable about these three. thanks again. HE

The actuator reports its position back the EATC once the door stops turning. There are 2 wires to the actuator for the motor and 2 wires for the position sensor.

3 wires to the position sensor side of both, 2 of them are shares with each other. 2 to the motor. that's a 5 wire plug on each.

I did not mention the 5th wire since it is shared and not specific to just the blend door actuator.

Hello, Chris here again,

I am checking in to make sure you got everything you expected from my answer. The option to rate my response or reply is still available. I want to make sure you were pleased with what you paid for.

Thanks Chris

Did you come up with anything from your co-workers or IATN ??. Got another EATC from the guy in CA. All of my actuators were out of position so when I turner it on I shut the key off when it got within the home position. I disconnected both actuators ran internal diag then cleared codes. Plugged both in and turned on. rec made a sweep and stopped. blend ran a 360 then stopped and reversed and stopped 180 out of position. When changing temps the blend will move back and forth but its 180 out of position and only will move at 60 degrees, 65 degrees, and 75 degrees on the head unit pushing the buttons. Also this 1999 EATC is spitting out OBD codes 1224 blend, 4916 rec. Hooked mentor to data plug cleared thru ECM re-scan and rec door code keeps coming back. QUESTION can rec door malfunction cause all this other crap to happen with the blend door. They are tied together in the wiring loop?

Yes, they do share some of the same wiring. All responses I got are, it can not calibrate and you can not diagnose without it mounted.

NOT AN ACCEPTABLE ANSWER!!!. You havn't told me anything I didn't already know including the one line you stated I don't know! It seems you used to work for a dealership, but no man can be up at 1am and be at work at 7 everyday. The human body cannot do that. I know from experience. I think I'am being scamed! I will be in touch with just answer tomorrow.

Sorry, you were not pleased. I will opt out.

Chris (aka- Moose), Technician