Lincoln

Lincoln Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I took my car to the dealer yesterday because the button in…

Customer Question
I took my car...

I took my car to the dealer yesterday because the button in the back which closes the hatch wouldn't work the button in the front work and the fob work they told me my battery needed to be replaced and because my battery was bad it cause the computer to make the back button malfunction so I had them replaced the battery I went home by time I got home it was dark and I noticed I had no headlights you can turn them on and they will come on but within 60 seconds one or the other or both go out and it doesn't matter whether it's on automatic or just on I went back to the dealer today they told me I need one or two headlight assemblies. I find it hard to believe that I walked into a dealer with headlights at work I walked out and all of a sudden I need to headlight assemblies at $1,300 a piece could then replacing the battery and playing with the computer to get the back button to work for the patch have done anything to my headlights needless to say the back hatch still doesn't work either

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the fuses? Have you checked the bulbs?

I I don't know what they did when you turn the lights on they do come on so I don't think it's the bulb but within 60 Seconds they just go out the headlights will not stay on and they worked fine when I got to the dealer yesterday then they replace the battery and did something with the computer for the back hatch and now my headlights will not stay on

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '60 Lincoln?

It's a 2011 Lincoln MKT

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your MKT yourself? What have you tried so far?

No I actually went back to the dealer today because I couldn't see how I could go in there yesterday with headlights at work and leave there and the headlights don't work as soon as I leave there and now they're telling me I need to headlight assemblies I'm sorry that makes no sense could replacing the battery or playing with the computer have done something to make my headlights not work

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Not that I can think of I just don't think that you headlight assemblies when bed instantly after going to a dealer and having them replace a battery and play with the computer to get the back hatch to work and the back hatch doesn't work and now I have headlights that will come on but will not stay on

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Lincoln
12/13/2017
Lincoln Mechanic: Gabriel Grey, ASE Certified Technician replied 5 months ago
Gabriel Grey
Gabriel Grey, ASE Certified Technician

Good afternoon, I hope you are doing great. My name is ***** ***** I would be happy to assist you with this today.

So there is nothing on these models that could be causing this issue just based off a battery replacement, BUT there is a lot of related wiring near the battery so it is very possible that they bumped/broke a power connection somewhere and are lying about it to cover their own behind.
If you are not familiar with this electrical system then might I suggest taking it to a different shop to get a second opinion, as I do not believe me need both headlight assemblies out of the blue like this, it seems like the dealer might be trying to trick you a bit with it

Can anything go wrong with one light that would effect the other one

The bulbs on these run in individual circuits, so if one goes out it will not affect the other, unless there are module/circuit issues in the module

Gabriel Grey
Gabriel Grey
Gabriel Grey, ASE Certified Technician