Lincoln

Lincoln Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Lincoln

It won’t start and it is not in Park even though the shifter…

Customer Question
It won’t start and...

It won’t start and it is not in Park even though the shifter is in Park. You can jumper around the starter and it will start.

Mechanic's Assistant: Does the vehicle have a fuse that enables or disables the shifter?

Not for sure

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the make/model/year of your car?

2004 Lincoln aviator

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Aviator yourself? What have you tried so far?

Checked all fuses, seem to be good. Can step on brake and shift into gear with key in off position.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Known issue with brake pedal position switch and not being able to shift from Park to position other than Park when car was started.

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Lincoln
12/12/2017
Lincoln Mechanic: HDGene, ASE Certified Technician replied 2 months ago
HDGene
HDGene, ASE Certified Technician

Hello, and thank you for using Just Answer! My name is***** me a few moments to review your question and Ill do my best to assist you.

Hello, the shifter is in park but the indicator doesnt read park? Is the transmission in park if you check it at the shifter cable connection?

No, the indicator showed park but when we jumped around the starter, turned the key on the car started and was in reverse and backed into a car that was parked behind it.

Ok more than likely either the shifter cable is loose and not moving the shifter into park or it is out of adjustment.. Inspect the connection at the transmission. SInce the trans is in reverse, this makes the most sense. Either the shifter cable is broken or needs to be adjusted.

Thank you. I sold the car this evening but I have relayed the information onto the new owner. If that fixes the problem I will return to give you feedback. Thanks again!

You are welcome!

HDGene
HDGene
HDGene, ASE Certified Technician