Lincoln

Lincoln Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

My car was hit in the rear. Now the backup camera is not…

Customer Question
My car was hit in...
My car was hit in the rear. Now the backup camera is not working right, the proximity sensors are not working right, the trunk will not close and keeps beeping, the park assist is not working right, but what systems inside the care can be affected by such an accident. Some other things are not working and I need to know if they can be affected by the collision.
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Lincoln
12/4/2017
Lincoln Mechanic: Pete, Technician replied 4 months ago
Pete, Technician

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases, I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

The collision can cause all of these issues here.

It can damage the backup camera causing it to be inoperative as well as a proximity sensor which can disable the proximity sensor system and park assist.This can also damage the body paneling for the trunk latch or striker and even though it may be closing or not close the latch may not be sending the proper signal which can cause the beeping noise.

All of these are affected from the rear collision and need checking into to locate and repair the faulty proximity sensor/park assist sensor, as well as camera, replaced or wiring damage repaired leading to the camera and trunk latch possibly replaced and body adjusted by a body shop back to normal.Even a small bump can cause all of these issues that I have run into several times before myself.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service, your 5-star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Well my issue here is that the climate controlled seats have quit working. can this be a result of the collision?

Can you tell me the year and model of your vehicle?

13 MKZ Hybrid

I don't see the collision causing issues with the climate seats on this model as the seat module/ecu and electronics are under the seat itself.Unless wiring was damaged from a fuse panel in the rear or ground this is very possible and can cause this issue here.

The only way to be sure is to have the collision inspected by a body shop or repair facility so they can check it to see what all was damaged and is covered under the collision repair through yours or the other persons auto insurance.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here or above ( should be a link to click on ) as this is how I receive credit for my time, this can be done at any time and you can still come back here and reply if needed.Your 5-star rating is appreciated

Thanks Pete

All 4 seats stopped working at the same time. I just wondering if any of these components run thru the same modules or in any way cross paths that could be corrupted do to software issues or miscommunication do to all these other signals not working properly.

The only thing I see that would cause all to stop is if a ground wire was broken or damaged when the collision occurred at the rear of the vehicle.This can cause a loss of ground affecting these here.You would have to have this checked to see if a ground loss issue is a cause.

Thanks Pete

where would the wire be located?

My info isnt showing an exact location but should be at the rear bumper support area or inside the trunk area.It would be bolted to the metal body or brackets.

Thanks Pete

Well I can see a wiring harness thru the damage. So I will instruct them to check it to make sure. I do not want to pay ford to fix my seats if it was caused thru accident.

Usually if you report it to the shop doing the repairs for the body damage they can report it to your insurance company or the other persons ( whoever fault it was ) and it will be covered from there on the insurance if they see it is related to the accident.You can check the harness though to see if the harness is the cause.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here or above ( should be a link to click on ) as this is how I receive credit for my time,this can be done at any time and you can still come back here and reply if needed.Your 5 star rating is appreciated

Thanks Pete

My concern is that the insurance will refuse to cover it. Thats why I want to see if there is any kind of link at all so That I can have a basis for argument. If I can prove a link then they will have to cover repairs. If the module needs to be refreshed or reprogrammed I need to be able to argue that the module glitch was caused do to loss of ground or something of that nature. Maybe the mixed up signals from all the other things like trunk beeping or Prox sensor signals or whatever confusing the module to the point it shuts down. I just need to know what would be a good argument if there is one?

Looking at the diagrams of this model on the seats there are several modules.BCM, Front seat climate control module, rear seat control modules, gateway module, front controls interface module.It's hard to say for sure if a module is at fault causing this or a ground or power loss.My info isn't showing the location of the grounds on this model here, unfortunately.

The best thing to do is to get the fault codes read out of all computers in your vehicle as this can help to pinpoint the cause here.But unfortunately, without knowing the codes and seeing the vehicle it's hard to say for sure from here which component is at fault needing repaired or replaced or if there is a harness at fault or ground issue.

Thanks Pete

Pete, Technician