Lincoln

Lincoln Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I have a 2013 Lincoln MKZ, The heated seats have stopped…

Customer Question
Second opinion] I have a...
Second opinion] I have a 2013 Lincoln MKZ, The heated seats have stopped working. The lights on the buttons will still light up as if they are turning on but they do not heat. all four seats have stopped heating. Also the two front seats have also stopped cooling. But just like the heat, the icons will still light up as if they are working. The heated steering wheel still heats. What can be causing this? what should I check first?
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Lincoln
Answered in 1 day by:
11/30/2017
Lincoln Mechanic: Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager replied 4 months ago
Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager

HI,

Have you had it scanned for fault codes yet and if so, what are they?

I believe that there may be a service bulletin out for the heating/cooling seats, but I need the last 8 of the vin number to check to see if it is applicable to yours

DR822488 , Have not had it scanned yet. I am looking for a good scanner that I can buy that will read BCM codes. I found this scanner on Amazon, Do you think it will access the BCM codes for this car
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B014CT4QIQ/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?smid=A2YWURTSRUAKKQ&psc=1

According to the Foxwell website it does read body control modules, so it should read yours.

I checked and the service bulletin I was thinking of is not applicable to yours.

Ok, I am ordering a Scan Tool Today. Autel MD808 Pro. It should be here tomorrow. I will scan for codes and get back to you.

Sounds good.

Ok, scanned today. I found this codeACM-Audio Control Module
U3000-96 ODDTCs
U3000:96-0A CMDTCs

HI,

Ok, there is a service bulletin out that calls for recalibrating the control module with latest software - this has to be done thru a Ford dealer as they are the only ones with access to the software.

TSB 14-0123

07/01/14

HD RADIO INOPERATIVE - DIAGNOSTIC TROUBLE CODE (DTC)
U3000:96

FORD:
2013-2014 Escape, Flex, Fusion, Taurus

LINCOLN:
2013-2014 MKS, MKT, MKZ

This article supersedes TSB 14-0027 to remove the production fix date, update the vehicle model lines and Action Statement.

ISSUE
Some 2013-2014 Escape, Fusion, MKZ, Taurus, Flex, MKS and MKT vehicles may exhibit DTC U3000:96 stored in the audio control module (ACM).

ACTION
Reprogram the ACM to the latest calibration using IDS release 90.05 and higher. Calibration files may also be obtained at the website.

As the control modules interface with each other, I am going over the schematics right now to see if this code will affect the climate controlled seating

is this a recall that will be covered by ford or will I have to pay for this reprogramming?

A service bulletin is not the same as a recall.

A service bulletin can be issued for anything from labor time updates, part numbers updates, software updates, new diagnostic or repair procedure, etc.

Recalls are issued for either safety issues initiated by the NHTSA, or due to known defective part out of the factory on a large scale initiated by the automanufacture.

So you will have to pay for the software update. This should be no more than a 1 hour labor charge.

I cannot say with 100% confidence that this will resolve the seating issue, but the ACM is tied into the climate control module, so the new software may resolve it.

Ok, I went further into the scanner and found theseSCM-E
SCM-G
SCM-HI tried to run Diagnostics but it says "No Communication, Check Cables" These have something to do with the seats

I am not showing those at all.

I show Bxxxx codes for the seats - see below for the seating fault code numbers

Pinpoint Test: DTC B19A1

Pinpoint Test: DTC B19A2

Pinpoint Test: DTC B19A3

Pinpoint Test: DTC B19A4

Pinpoint Test: DTC B19A5

Pinpoint Test: DTC B19A6

Pinpoint Test: DTC B19A7

Pinpoint Test: DTC B19A8

Pinpoint Test: DTC B103C

Pinpoint Test: DTC B103D

Pinpoint Test: DTC B111C

Pinpoint Test: DTC B111D

Pinpoint Test: DTC B272A

Pinpoint Test: DTC B272B

Pinpoint Test: DTC B272C

Pinpoint Test: DTC B272D

Pinpoint Test: DTC B272E

Pinpoint Test: DTC B272F

Pinpoint Test: DTC B1113 and B111B

Pinpoint Test: DTC B2486

Pinpoint Test: DTC B2729

Pinpoint Test: DTC B2730

Pinpoint Test: DTC: B1317

Pinpoint Test: DTC: B1318

Those were not trouble codes. SMC is a seat control module from what the scanner is telling me. But it says it cannot communicate that I need to check the cables

HI,

Ok, the front seat climate control module is underneath the seat mounted to the bottom of the seat - see attached

The seat control module is located in the seat back behind the hard trim panel on back of front seat - see attached

You will need to check for secure harness connections and no broken, pulled, or loose wiring

driver or passenger?

Sorry, driver seat

I noticed we have not yet resolved your concern you asked about. I would sure appreciate it if you would reply so I can offer my skills and knowledge and repair guide access to help as best I can.

~Do you still need more help?
~Confused by my info request or answer?
~Need more time?
~Confused on how the site works?
~Need more detail or a different explanation?

If the answer is YES to any of these just press reply and lets work on this concern some more.If not, at this time please RATE the answer.

Please remember to rate service using the separate rating page. Thank you

If you have new questions now or in the future please do not hesitate to ask them. If you would like me to assist you. Just bookmark this page so you can access my profile easy and post a new question from the question box on my profile page.

Unless you have a further question on this, at this time please click the OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE 3 STARS OR HIGHER to pay for services rendered per your customer agreement as this is a PAYSITE and experts are not paid for their time, services, or knowledge until you do so. Thank you.

Please note that your expert pays for requested directions out of pocket for your benefit. Failure to give a positive rating means that the expert will no longer be able to provide this service at substantial savings to you

Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager