Lincoln

Lincoln Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

2010 Lincoln MKT 3.5L ecoboost AWD,Very strong raw gas smell…

Customer Question
2010 Lincoln MKT 3.5L ecoboost...
2010 Lincoln MKT 3.5L ecoboost AWD,Very strong raw gas smell that comes inside but you can smell it around the intake but no leaks, very rich burning but no codes or engine light.
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Lincoln
11/26/2017
Lincoln Mechanic: Chris (aka- Moose), Technician replied 7 months ago
Chris (aka- Moose), Technician

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka-Moose).

• WORK TIME, I am here 7 days a week but not all hours of the day, do not worry I will respond.
  • FEES, I am a user of the website like you, not an employee. Any fee or account questions need to be addressed to the website.
  • PHONE CALLS, I will never offer nor ask you to pay more for a call, calls and memberships are pushed by the website.
  • UPLOADED LINKS, if I upload dropbox links, without the phone app use the box on the top right for direct download.
  • RATING ANSWERS, please let me know what you need from me so you are pleased with my answer.

Do you have a scan tool to monitor the fuel trims?

Are you assuming it is running rich from the odor or is the exhaust tail pipe also smelling rich?

Hi Moose,
I will reply more in depth tomorrow afternoon because I had a problem getting this to go through to talk with someone and three previous times I gave a very long detailed description and it would not go through and now I must go to bed but yes the exhaust is black and all 6 spark plugs are black, even the new plugs.
I have much to say and eager to get a new thought from someone else.
Thank you,
Bruce

Tomorrow is fine.

I will tell you the story. This is my son's car and I always take care my kids!
The problem first started this summer as my son and his family was coming home from vacation and about 200 miles from home the car started running bad and white smoke coming from the exhaust so they had it towed. The problem was number 4 injector. So I replaced the injector with a new one from Ford. It took care of the problem and they started running the car like normal but said maybe once a week they would get a faint smell of gas. It was running good and no engine light. After two months the smell was getting more frequent and stronger.
Then the water pump went out and destroyed the engine. when I removed the spark plugs all 6 was burnt black with a lot of build up, but never any engine light bought a remanufactured engine from Ford. I used the same fuel rail and injectors but new turbos and line plus all 4 oxygen sensors, new spark plugs etc...
Engine runs good, sounds good and the tach does not move around but still the gas smell and it is getting worse.
After a month the spark plugs are black again but no engine light.
I thought about replacing the injectors but even the new one is the same as the others.
To answer your question my scan tool can not monitor fuel trims. I can see if I can get one if I need.

The fuel trims would help us determine if it is running lean or rich. For the fuel odor, there has a to be a leak o the exhaust manifold is leaking. If you are not able to visually see a leak then you will have to pressurize the fuel system with compressed air and use a stethoscope to find the leak from a squealing type noise. One way to find an exhaust leak is to tape up the tailpipe about 75% and induce some oil into the air intake so it smokes to see if smoke comes out from anywhere other than the tail pipe.

Now that I have posted a partial or complete answer, you will see you can rate me. The deposit you have already paid is not transferred to me until you rate me. I would like to receive nothing less than 5-star excellent ratings. So if we are not there yet, please reply and let me help more. If you're not pleased, let me know because rating bad does not result in a refund, there are better options. Rating now will not close this post nor prevent replying. Thanks Chris

This is raw gas that smells the strongest around the intake, I removed the intake twice looking for leaks not seeing anything. The exhaust smells srong but not raw gas. Any other car would have the engine light on detecting the rich or lean fuel. I talked to techs at the Ford dealership and they can't help me out but then they tried to tell me they don't have any injector problems either!
My frustration level is very high with this whole situation.
The fuel pump has plenty of pressure behind it so if there is a leak externally it should surface.
I feel it has to be more of an injector problem or computer, why else would it be turning the plugs black?

It can be a lot of things, but for me to say replace the PCM without being able to test with a diagnostic tool would be a guess. One drip of gas is enough odor to fill a living room and on a hot engine that one drip would evaporate very quickly and not be visible.

I don't see it being many things with all that has been done and plus a new engine, the BIG DEAL is all 6 cylinders burning black!
I was really hoping to hear more than what the local ford dealers are saying. "I dont know"
I know this can't be the only one that ever had this problem!
I used this site before because I usually get help, great ideas and even downloads that I used for reference and trouble shooting.
  1. Here are all the things that can make an engine run rich. https://www.dropbox.com/s/uw2oqq4vu0trziv/running%20rich.png?dl=0 I call 6 possible causes many, another may not.
  2. I never typed I do not know
  3. You are not the only customer that has had a fuel leak. This is not a common concern on this vehicle this there being no Ford TSBs SSMs or FSAs to send you.
  4. It just so happens the concerns you have asked this time require a diagnostic tool to monitor things which you do not have. Unfortunately sometimes questions are asked that require above and beyond what a DIY can do.

If you can think of anything that I can provide that may assist you, let me know. I have not sent much because most all of it requires the tool you said you do not have. A running rich concern cannot be diagnosed visually.

I was gonna get one but you just keep asking for feedback and telling me things thay is so off from my symtems due to the degree I'm explaining that I can't see anything you can helpe me with!
One time using this site s petson could not help me and instead of being full of pride , he said he could not help me but NEVER has anyone on this site ask for ferdback without knowing the problem was fixed! If you want feeback it's not
Going to be very good

I will opt out since you feel we are making no progress together. Best of luck.