Lincoln

Lincoln Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I have a 2006 Lincoln Town Car with a "no start" situation.

Customer Question
Hi there, I have a...
Hi there, I have a 2006 Lincoln Town Car with a "no start" situation. I drove the car in to my garage to work on some steering issues. I disconnected the steering column for what I needed to fix. Got back in the car and started it. It ran for 2 seconds then quit. Won't start since then. This is not a car I have trouble starting. So it turns over, lots of battery, everything on the dash lights up. I can hear the fuel pump come on. Fuses all checked out ok. Not sure where to start next.
Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Lincoln
11/26/2017
Lincoln Mechanic: David Craig, Auto Mechanic replied 8 months ago
David Craig
David Craig, Auto Mechanic

Hi my name is ***** ***** I'll be more than happy to assist you, Please allow me a few minutes to review your information. Thank you.

when are you cranking the engine is the theft indicator going out?

The theft Indicator?

security light or lock symbol

??

David, when I crank the engine, there are no lights on the dash. Just confirmed

there's no red blinking light on the instrument panel or dash anywhere either?

Correct.

`if all you did was disconnect the steering column to lower it or remove it, it has to be something you forgot to reconnect or bent contacts in a connector when you reconnected it. double check your work. Is the engine cranking but not starting?

Cranking fine. What I needed to work on was the steering rack. I needed to replace it. I disconnected the rod I guess that goes to the rack. Like beside the exhaust manifold. Not in the inside of the car.

ok, so you had to remove the bolt. did you have to pull the column up out of the steering gear?

Correct, removed the bolt. The one in the middle of the rod. Did nothing inside. Tapped the rod down to release it

did you have to move any wiring harnesses out of the way to pull the rack?

That was my first thought. Was wondering if I had bumped something loose. There is a harness near the brake booster and it goes over the manifold. I can't see anything disconnected, I've checked all the plugs nearby and looked closely at the wiring harness to see if there were any broken or corroded wires. But nothing there. Underneath the front, no harnesses had to be removed to remove the steering rack

ok then let's start with the basics. can you hear the fuel pump running for a few seconds when the key is turned on?

Fuel pump runs. Car cranks. Dash lights are normal. You can hear relays clicking as they should when you turn the key and fuses checked

ok. when you crank the engine are you getting rpms?

Showing on the tach during crank? I can check that now

yes

Tach does not move during crank

ok, thats not good. check the connector for the crank sensor, make sure it didn't come off or partially off.

Ok and it's near the front?
I guess normally I never notice the tach because the car starts right away

yes, standby

Definitely in an area I was working. But the plug is on securely and 2 wires seem solid in the plug. I just unplugged and plugged it back in to make sure

ok standby

Can do. I need to go out for a few hours. Will check this upon return. So unplug the plug for the sensor, then test between ground and each of the 2 pins? One at a tine

yes sir

Wait, if the plug is unplugged, does the sensor get voltage another way? How would it give a voltage reading to ground?

if the sensor is unplugged its getting voltage from the computer

you stick one end on the connector and the other lead to the negative terminal. please just follow the procedure

David. I misunderstood at first. I thought I was to measure for voltage at the actual sensor. But it says the connector -on the wiring end. So that makes sense. Anyhow, I am getting exactly 1.47v between ground and each of the 2 wires

ok standby

check the resistance between both contacts on the sensor itself

313 ohms

ok, standby

ok, I'm out of ideas. I'm going to open this up to the others, please do not reply back or it will take the question off of the board.

Lincoln Mechanic: HDGene, ASE Certified Technician replied 8 months ago
HDGene
HDGene, ASE Certified Technician

Hello, does the check engine light turn on when the key is turned to on and go out when cranking? Do you have access to a scan tool to test for codes? You should have a red THEFT lamp indicator on top of the center of the dash that blinks when the key is out of the ignition. The vehicle uses a security key with a chip, if it cant read the chip, the light blinks fast. If it does read the chip when the key is turned on it stays on steady for a few seconds and then goes out. Have you tried a different ignition key and verified all wiring to the steering column is hooked up correctly and not pinched between the dash and column?

Hi there. I've had the car a couple years. I only have one key for it. I pulled the car in to my garage to change the steering rack. What I disconnected was the actual steering rod that goes to the steering box. Beside the exhaust manifold in the engine bay. I didn't touch anything inside the car. The dash lights come on with the key and go out when cranking. The red security light blinks normally, goes solid with ignition on, goes out while cranking. My scanner gave me some codes for catalytic converters - these codes have been on for the entire 100,000 kms I have put on the car. I can hear the fuel pump come on as it should. Another mechanic had me test the crank sensor and it checked out ok. So fuel pumps, car cranks, no start

Ok so you hear the pump run, Do you have a good solid burst of fuel at the fuel rail? If you spray some carb cleaner into the intake will the vehicle run a few seconds and then stall again? If you pop te service cap off the fuel rail see if its a solid burst of fuel or a little trickle of gas at the fuel rail.

Good questions. I am out for the aft. I can definitely check all these things and report back

Not a problem, if you didnt hear the fuel pump run I would say to check the fuel pump inertia switch, since it started and then stalled a few seconds later, it shouldnt be a PATS key issue, No codes other than cat convertor P0420 or 430 shouldnt affect it. Check the basics, fuel pressure, spark, injector pulse. Let me know what you find or if you need more help.

If you need more help please let me know. If I answered your questions please use the 5 stars above to leave a positive rating.

Sorry. I have a limousine company and got called out for an 8 hr run. So I'm in the garage now and looking to check the fuel pressure. This car does not have a valve. I have had some that had a Schrader valve in the rail and you could check for fuel but there is none here. Can I disconnect a hose or something to see what's going on?

Yes you can disconnect the supply line at the fuel rail or under the car at the fuel filter.

Found the problem. Corroded fuse for the fuel injectors. Changed fuse, lights right up

Excellent. So you had no power to the injectors,and it should have run once you sprayed carb clean into the intake. If I was helpful, please leave a positive rating.

Correct. Though I didn't get far enough to test the carb clean. But your talk of fuel got me thinking and I decided to double check the fuses. Even though this fuse tested with my light, it seemed corroded, when I pulled it out I didn't like what I saw. I replaced the fus le before I knew which one it was. Then I checked the manual and realized fuel injectors. I got a little smirk on my face and went to try the key like a champ

Awesome! Gotta love when you find a problem like that. Something simple can baffle you sometimes!

Do you need any other help or information?

No it is working fine now. Thanks

Ok you have to rate the question to close it unless I wasnt helpful for you.