Lincoln

Lincoln Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

The fuel pump is not working I put a new fuel pump still not…

Customer Question
The fuel pump is...

The fuel pump is not working I put a new fuel pump still not working

Mechanic's Assistant: Has your car been stalling?

No it was running fine I shut it off and when I try to start it again I had a fuel delivery problems

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Lincoln?

90 Town Car actually it did stall a couple times unexplained

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Town Car yourself? What have you tried so far?

New fuel pump new fuel filter jump the inertia switch wires

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No I can't think of anything except that I don't know where the relay is my book doesn't show me a relay for a fuel pump only a fuse

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Lincoln
11/23/2017
Lincoln Mechanic: Ronnie, ASE Certified Technician replied 5 months ago
Ronnie
Ronnie, ASE Certified Technician

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I am happy to assist you today. Give me just a moment to review your post, and I'll be right back with the help you need.

Start with making sure the fuse N (20 AMP_ located in the under hood fuse panel is in place and not blown. if the fuse checks okay then go to the inertia switch and see if you have key on engine cranking power on both wires at the switch. Check this and let me know the results and we can work from there if need be.

The Enfield fuse is good one wire has nine plus volts while cranking the other wire has less than 1 volt

Both wires should have battery voltage, unplug it and place a jumper in the connector and then crank it again and see if the pump will run.

I already jumped it with a paperclip it did not work

Power to the inertia switch comes from the EEC relay and runs through the inertia switch to the fuel pump relay. What is your voltage at the red wire to the inertia switch with it unplugged?

12 + volts with key on not cranking

Okay that indicates you have a large voltage drop, plug it back in and go back to the fuel pump connector and unplug it and with a helper check the cranking voltage on the pink/black power feed wire to the pump.

The highest number I saw on the multimeter was 9 point something
The car is on jumper cables because the battery died would that have anything to do with voltage drop

Not as long as your reading 12 volts on the red wire at the inertia switch, get your battery charged back up and recheck it at both side of the inertia switch and if its still low move to the pink/black at the pump with it unplugged.

No more do not reply again if you charge me again I will stop all charges

I have been paid nothing and you are not charged as well until you rate the service. If you do not need the help I can stop for sure.

Chris (aka- Moose), Technician