Lincoln

Lincoln Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

2010 Lincoln MKX, leaking fluid from the PTU area, and it is…

2010 Lincoln MKX, leaking fluid...
2010 Lincoln MKX, leaking fluid from the PTU area, and it is grey. Common problem? Grey usually indicates metal, possible cause?
11/21/2017
Pete, Technician

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

The most common leaks are usually the axle seals or the cover gasket/seal leaking.Now the gray look is usually metal in the oil and this metal can cause a seal or gasket to rip and leak.This can be due to worn bearings in it that can start to wear over time causing this issue.

You will need to have the PTU inspected for any worn components needing replaced to correct this here.In some cases some of the components in the PTU are not serviceable and the entire unit has to be replaced as an assembly.

But I do suspect worn bearings internally causing this issue.The bearings may not be causing any noise issues yet.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Pete, Technician
Pete, Technician