Lincoln

Lincoln Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Lincoln

My windows will not work & when I use the onlock button I

my windows will not work...
my windows will not work & when I use the onlock button I hear a click in the driverside door but nothing works
JA: Where exactly do you think the noise is coming from? And how long has this been going on?
Customer: unlock button just started today
JA: What is the model/year of your Lincoln?
Customer: 1998 Lincoln town car
JA: Are you fixing your Town Car yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: checked the fuse under the dash not sure I was checking the right one because I didn't have the manual, I did have one blown fuse but I replaced it & it still didn't work
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: none of the switches work & it does the clicking thing in the driver side door if you use either unlock button on the driver side door or passenger side door
Answered in 1 hour by:
11/15/2017
Gabriel Grey
Gabriel Grey, ASE Certified Technician

Good afternoon, I hope you are doing great. My name is***** would be happy to assist you with this.

So it sounds to me like we have either a switch issue or a power issue. The window switch is fed power from a relay, that gets power from a fuse, we will need to check the fuse and relay, if both are good then it is likely we have a switch issue. Give me just a minute and I will upload the relay/fuse location

Okay here are the fuse panel diagrams. We need to check fuse #11 in the hood fusebox, and fuse #18 in the dash fusebox, the window relay is the big one labeled Relay 1

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
Tt was the fuse under the hood now I think the driver side window motor is gone it will go down but will not go up. All the other windows are ok & the locks are working now

Awesome! Glad to hear most of the system is back online. If the window is not going up then it is very possible that there is a motor issue. You can try to re-initialize the motor by holding the switch down for ten seconds and then up for ten seconds. If it still does not come up then we most likely have a failed motor

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
yeah I believe it has failed I don't want to hold it down because it partially up & I'm at work & I don't want it to be all the way down. I have replaced the motor before so I should be o.k. Thank You !!!!!

Okay sounds good! You are very welcome!

I would appreciate it if you could take a minute to leave me a positive score, as that is how I am compensated for my time. Thank you!

Gabriel Grey
Gabriel Grey, ASE Certified Technician
Gabriel Grey
Gabriel Grey
Gabriel Grey, ASE Certified Technician